• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUN 1, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

Johnny256

Reaction score
For a vintage-themed summer ball I want to build an outfit around a nice navy blue corduroy jacket but I don't know what would be a correct look from that era (70s?)

I can see lots of sites telling me how to wear such a jacket in a contemporary style (i.e. jeans/chinos) but is that the same?

The dress code is smart-casual/semi-formal but formal is OK too. I wondered about a bow tie, possibly checked with a plain shirt... or a velvet bow tie with a checked shirt... but really don't know. Could I even get away with suspenders over a checked shirt?

Doesn't have to be super-accurate, but I don't just want to wear a jacket over a nice white shirt and smart jeans like I would in normal life!

Thankyou for any advice.

Michael K

Reaction score
Hi, I am a Korean Grade 11 student who is studying abroad in New Zealand, Auckland, so I apologize for some minor grammar mistakes.First of all, I need a suit for the school debate that will take place after the summer break, and I have to wear decently as a member of student council. I looked around for some made to measure suit, I am feeling some sort of suspicious toward local suit brands like Barkers, that if their suits are fussed and I just pay through the nose. To find the suit with good price, I googled for some suit shops and I found out that there's a Z.Zegna store in queen st, but as you know, made to measure suit of Zegna made of Italian fabric will cost like 2000$ though its quality is awesome, then I will have to work in the restaurant for my entire school life to afford it. Well, I didn't visit there yet, because I'm afraid if they say exorbitant price(Everything in NZ is more expensive than usual!). So can you recommend me some tailor that worth the money? with excellent fabric under 1000$? It's ok if you say somewhere in Australia because I'm going to travel to there in October.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For a vintage-themed summer ball I want to build an outfit around a nice navy blue corduroy jacket but I don't know what would be a correct look from that era (70s?)

I can see lots of sites telling me how to wear such a jacket in a contemporary style (i.e. jeans/chinos) but is that the same?

The dress code is smart-casual/semi-formal but formal is OK too. I wondered about a bow tie, possibly checked with a plain shirt... or a velvet bow tie with a checked shirt... but really don't know. Could I even get away with suspenders over a checked shirt?

Doesn't have to be super-accurate, but I don't just want to wear a jacket over a nice white shirt and smart jeans like I would in normal life!

Thankyou for any advice.

Welcome to the forum, Johnny. How about some plaid pants and a shirt with the collar popped and folded over the lapels?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi, I am a Korean Grade 11 student who is studying abroad in New Zealand, Auckland, so I apologize for some minor grammar mistakes.First of all, I need a suit for the school debate that will take place after the summer break, and I have to wear decently as a member of student council. I looked around for some made to measure suit, I am feeling some sort of suspicious toward local suit brands like Barkers, that if their suits are fussed and I just pay through the nose. To find the suit with good price, I googled for some suit shops and I found out that there's a Z.Zegna store in queen st, but as you know, made to measure suit of Zegna made of Italian fabric will cost like 2000$ though its quality is awesome, then I will have to work in the restaurant for my entire school life to afford it. Well, I didn't visit there yet, because I'm afraid if they say exorbitant price(Everything in NZ is more expensive than usual!). So can you recommend me some tailor that worth the money? with excellent fabric under 1000$? It's ok if you say somewhere in Australia because I'm going to travel to there in October.

Welcome to the forum, Michael. How you looked into Suit Supply? They are well under your budget and offer some pretty nice half canvassed suits with some good fabrics. You could even afford one of their full canvassed lines for $1k. Best of luck.

Laborclass

Reaction score

Not sure if this fit's properly, or to be fair, if it's even cool. Disregard the short's, I intended to wear it with some similarly colored linen trousers, until I read, this would be a poor choice.
Whats with the one cuff button?
Cheers Ron

fuhransahis

Reaction score

I have no experience with either of them, sorry.
Last question. I'm still new at being able to accurately judge build/leather quality just by looking, and haven't been able to find anything on here about Rogue shoes. Any thoughts on the possible quality of these? Retail about $300,on sale for $140. Thanks again

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last question. I'm still new at being able to accurately judge build/leather quality just by looking, and haven't been able to find anything on here about Rogue shoes. Any thoughts on the possible quality of these? Retail about $300,on sale for $140. Thanks again

You really can't judge build/leather quality by just looking. I know nothing about Rogue shoes...never even heard of them. Have you looked into Meermin yet?

https://www.meermin.es

Laborclass

Reaction score
Can braces be worn with linen trousers? Mechanicly this seem strange, being that the trousers are so light.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can braces be worn with linen trousers? Mechanicly this seem strange, being that the trousers are so light.

Hey Laborclass, welcome to the forum. I've seen it done, so yes they can.

Last edited:

jdnyc

Reaction score
I get it, I get it. Alden and AE, all the way. But is there anything out there similar in quality with more of a chisel toe/sleekness like you'd see in a Paul Smith or Ferragamo? I'm not looking for pointy, but I am looking for slim. C&J seems to be the best bet, but a bit out of my price range ($300-500)

Thanks!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I get it, I get it. Alden and AE, all the way. But is there anything out there similar in quality with more of a chisel toe/sleekness like you'd see in a Paul Smith or Ferragamo? I'm not looking for pointy, but I am looking for slim. C&J seems to be the best bet, but a bit out of my price range ($300-500)

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, jd. I don't know where you got the "Alden and AE, all the way", but no way. In that price range, you definitely need to check out Carmina. A couple of our Affiliate Vendors carry them. You can find out more here:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/338047/...nafe-saint-crispins-official-affiliate-thread

http://www.styleforum.net/t/350127/...s-cappelli-finamore-official-affiliate-thread

Laborclass

Reaction score
Thanks marlsquirl, I will have them altered, when I find the right trousers.
Brooks brother's would be a safe bet for braces? Any other makes I should consider?
Cheers Ron

Gabe Mathews

Reaction score
I saw this shirt on my favorite TV show, The Flash. It was on episode 19 of season 1 if you watch it or want to know a bit more. I really like the shirt and was wondering if anyone knew what it was or what brand or something. It looks like it is knitted, but it is an oxford, and you can tell. I'm pretty sure it isn't Polo Ralph Lauren since it doesn't have the logo on the chest. If anyone knows anything or just could help at all that would be awesome!

dpatton75

Reaction score
http://www.c21stores.com/product/HI...jftn5-obt8F_bePt4ruejuPqgzk_7iFktWRoC3Ofw_wcB

Hi Guys!

I need a couple of new times to add to my wardrobe next fall. Most of my ties are Brooks Brothers but they really don't have anything else to I like.

Can anyone help me ID/Find the tie worn in this picture? I realize it might be Hickey Freeman but I do not see it on their site. I would like a red one and maybe a blue equivalent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics