• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

calisuit77

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here but have a quick question. I have seen many differing opinions on wearing a suit with a non-matching vest and there is no clear answer so I thought I should just post the pics and ask. The occasion is a wedding...the suit is 120's with grey stripes and the vest is a charcoal color and a different material composition. I will be wearing a blue tie as pictured and a white shirt. Shoes are calf skin light brown colored...I really want to go 3 piece here but do not want to go purchase a new vest for the occasion if I do not have to...

Disclaimer: I hastily tried it all on so I know the shirt is too big (old one) and I did not put the tie on perfectly but I thought it would kind of get the point across. I really appreciate the advice.

AriG

Reaction score
Don't know the general rule, I suppose it can work in some cases. But this, no. Just so out of place. Drop it imo.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Cali. I have to agree with Ari, it doesn't work.

calisuit77

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! Any particular reasons or just looks out of place? Would you have any ideas on a vest that could work or should I abandon hope and leave the vest idea behind or buy a new 3 pcs? Thanks!

smtih10

Reaction score
So i'm looking to buy a new suit where money is no object. The brands that came to my mind were Brioni, Ermenegildo Zegna, and Tom Ford. What would you guys reccomend? Anyway, what's the difference between the normal Ermenegildo Zegna and Ermenegildo Zegna Couture?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Got this suit - http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...n2=styleFit&prefv2=Classic-Sienna&prefv1=Blue

Planning to wear them with AE Brown Mora 2.0 (Double Monk Strap) with White or Light Blue Shirt. Maybe Red tie or something you can suggest.

1) What kind of socks goes well with striped suits? Matching Tie and socks good idea?
2) Pocket squares - yes or no?

Welcome to the forum, Maxy. Lots of ties will work with that suit, but red is not one I would suggest...try burgundy instead. For socks, just go with the conservative choice and find the closest match to the suit color. I'm not much of a pocket square guy (I'm the oddball around here), but you can always go with a white tv fold.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! Any particular reasons or just looks out of place? Would you have any ideas on a vest that could work or should I abandon hope and leave the vest idea behind or buy a new 3 pcs? Thanks!

It just doesn't belong. I would say you need the matching vest or no vest at all with that suit.

Maxy

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Maxy. Lots of ties will work with that suit, but red is not one I would suggest...try burgundy instead. For socks, just go with the conservative choice and find the closest match to the suit color. I'm not much of a pocket square guy (I'm the oddball around here), but you can always go with a white tv fold.
Thanks.. burgundy is good choice for tie.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So i'm looking to buy a new suit where money is no object. The brands that came to my mind were Brioni, Ermenegildo Zegna, and Tom Ford. What would you guys reccomend? Anyway, what's the difference between the normal Ermenegildo Zegna and Ermenegildo Zegna Couture?

Welcome to the forum, Smith. If money isn't a worry, go with Cesare Attolini or Kiton. More importantly, buy whatever fits you the best and flatters your body style.

Fuck

Reaction score
Hi. Having a midnight blue tuxedo made. What are good lining ideas? I am usually pretty bold with linings, but I'm leaning towards plain black since the tux is already colored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeoffreyBruce

Reaction score
Hey guys!

This has been rattling around my brain for quite some time.
I have a largely varied wardrobe. I'm a musician, and therefore sometimes am dressing for a rock band, sometimes a black tie wedding, and everywhere in between.

When it comes to socks, when is it the best time to wear a) thinner casual cotton socks, b) thicker (chunky) cotton or wool blend socks, and c) thinner wool blend casual socks?

I'm really just thinking of casual wear, anything from sneakers to chunky wingtip bluchers.
Will sock thickness affect greatly how the shoe fits? I think I've stretched out a pair of Clarks way too much by wearing them with a thick wool sock.
Is it possible to have shoes that I can wear all year round with chunky socks, thin crew sock, AND sockless?

Any advice on sock choice would be much appreciated!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey guys!

This has been rattling around my brain for quite some time.

I have a largely varied wardrobe. I'm a musician, and therefore sometimes am dressing for a rock band, sometimes a black tie wedding, and everywhere in between.

When it comes to socks, when is it the best time to wear a) thinner casual cotton socks, b) thicker (chunky) cotton or wool blend socks, and c) thinner wool blend casual socks?

I'm really just thinking of casual wear, anything from sneakers to chunky wingtip bluchers.

Will sock thickness affect greatly how the shoe fits? I think I've stretched out a pair of Clarks way too much by wearing them with a thick wool sock.

Is it possible to have shoes that I can wear all year round with chunky socks, thin crew sock, AND sockless?

Any advice on sock choice would be much appreciated!

Yes, sock thickness will affect shoe fit. You can have shoes that you wear year round, but if you change out socks, the fit will be different. I would probably just find a good 100% cotton sock and stick with it.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi. Having a midnight blue tuxedo made. What are good lining ideas? I am usually pretty bold with linings, but I'm leaning towards plain black since the tux is already colored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting username...surprised it was still available in 2013. I'd stick with black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics