• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 27, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

DavidKong

Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know how to fix the "recovery loop" at the bottom of the tie if it has broken?
Thanks.

DavidKong

Reaction score
What is wrong with it?
I read from somewhere that This piece of thread running the length of the tie can be used to draw the tie back into shape after wearing or washing.
but i accidentally break it. :/

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I read from somewhere that This piece of thread running the length of the tie can be used to draw the tie back into shape after wearing or washing.
but i accidentally break it. :/

I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, but I have no idea how to go about fixing it....if it can be fixed. Sorry man.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[COLOR=373737]I read from somewhere  that This piece of thread running the length of the tie can be used to draw the tie back into shape after wearing or washing.

but i accidentally break it. :/[/COLOR]

It sounds like you need to have the tie re-slipped. Somewhere like http://tiecrafters.com should be able to help.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It sounds like you need to have the tie re-slipped. Somewhere like http://tiecrafters.com should be able to help.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

nilshg

Reaction score
While I'm not exactly a new member, I'm in a new market, namely buying new suits. I previously lived in South East Asia and had some suits made there, but haven't but a suit in years. Now I'm in London and need at least two new suits for work (professional services).

I'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge available around here, but obviously typing "suit" in the search box won't get me far. Thus I was hoping that someone could supply some useful links to read up on, specifically discussing:

- Quality differences: what are the main differences between a £199 TM Lewin, £350 Suitsupply, £500 Austin Reed, and £1000+ Canali suit (brands are just examples)
- How can I discern the quality of a suit, and the quality of a fabric?
- What are the merits of cheap tailor-made suits (the kind that gets sewn in China) vs. having an off-the-rack suit altered by a decent tailor?

Generally, I'm looking to buy maybe a light grey and a dark grey suit for daily office use, and am a little overwhelmed by the options available here in London. Any hints that help me navigate are more than welcome!

NewStart

Reaction score
Hi, i have a newbie question - does trunk show also include some sample sale, in particular trunk shows by shoes makers?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi, i have a newbie question - does trunk show also include some sample sale, in particular trunk shows by shoes makers?

Really depends on the maker....I don't think there is an industry standard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads