• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

warriortree

Reaction score
Hi guys

I am quite new and i would loke to know is there is any thread about the last things you have purchased etc

Thanks!!!

Enviado desde mi zapato con Tapatalk

FelixTheFinn

Reaction score
I will be in Asia for 6 months starting this September. Since I won't be in a formal business environment I will need to store my more formal shoes back home in Europe until I return in early spring. Are there dangers of drying out or decolorization? I have a dry & safe place to store them + shoe bags and quality cedar shoe trees. Apart from giving them a good treatment before I leave, what can I do to maintain their quality during my absence? Are there any preventative measures besides the above mentioned, that I can do before I leave?

For informational purposes: The shoes are made from suede, smooth calf and deer leathers. Also It's not an option for someone else to care for them regularly while I'm gone.

Thank your for your help,

Felix

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I will be in Asia for 6 months starting this September. Since I won't be in a formal business environment I will need to store my more formal shoes back home in Europe until I return in early spring. Are there dangers of drying out or decolorization? I have a dry & safe place to store them + shoe bags and quality cedar shoe trees. Apart from giving them a good treatment before I leave, what can I do to maintain their quality during my absence?  Are there any preventative measures besides the above mentioned, that I can do before I leave?

For informational purposes: The shoes are made from suede, smooth calf and deer leathers. Also It's not an option for someone else to care for them regularly while I'm gone.

Thank your for your help,

Felix

That's it man....you've got it all covered.

Field Marshal

Reaction score
Good Day Gents,

Long time lurker and first time poster here. Like many style newbies I was unaware of the black suit taboo until after I had purchased a black suit (in my case three...).

I don't have a charcoal suit, but I do have a few navy and gray suits. My question, however, is regarding black suits with pinstripes. Are they more acceptable for office/ business wear than their solid black counterparts?

I'm a new intern at a government office (Canadian if that makes any difference) and I'm a young eager university student so I definitely want to make a good impression wherever I can.

I currently possess one solid black suit and two blacks with light white pinstripes (one of which is a double breasted). They fit well and I obviously want to wear them outside of funerals so any wisdom you gents can pass down will be greatly appreciated!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good Day Gents,

Long time lurker and first time poster here. Like many style newbies I was unaware of the black suit taboo until after I had purchased a black suit (in my case three...).

I don't have a charcoal suit, but I do have a few navy and gray suits. My question, however, is regarding black suits with pinstripes. Are they more acceptable for office/ business wear than their solid black counterparts?

I'm a new intern at a government office (Canadian if that makes any difference) and I'm a young eager university student so I definitely want to make a good impression wherever I can.

I currently possess one solid black suit and two blacks with light white pinstripes (one of which is a double breasted). They fit well and I obviously want to wear them outside of funerals so any wisdom you gents can pass down will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum, FM. To answer your question, no. A black pinstripe suit is worse than solid black....especially double breasted for a university student. If you have navy and grey, stick with those.

Phillip Jeong

Reaction score
Hello guys, it's my first post here.

It's my first post here, and my pleasure meeting you guys. I'm currently a sophomore at college, and as job opportunities are coming close I had two suits tailored. One thing I underestimated was the price of oxfords. I thought they would be as cheap as below 100 bucks, but that wasn't the case. $79-99 oxfords from stacy adams or calvin klein looked hideous, so I ended up spending $150 as that was the top amount I could spend.

So it's a cheap pair of oxford, very much likely to be cemented and not full grain leather and to not last long.
I have shining kits I purchased a while ago that matches the color. Would you even bother taking care of it with cream, conditioner and polish?

Thank you

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello guys, it's my first post here.

It's my first post here, and my pleasure meeting you guys. I'm currently a sophomore at college, and as job opportunities are coming close I had two suits tailored. One thing I underestimated was the price of oxfords. I thought they would be as cheap as below 100 bucks, but that wasn't the case. $79-99 oxfords from stacy adams or calvin klein looked hideous, so I ended up spending $150 as that was the top amount I could spend.

So it's a cheap pair of oxford, very much likely to be cemented and not full grain leather and to not last long.
I have shining kits I purchased a while ago that matches the color. Would you even bother taking care of it with cream, conditioner and polish?

Thank you

Welcome to the forum, phil. You might as well take care of them if you want them to last. Check out our shoe care thread here if you need tips http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc

carguy12

Reaction score
Hello, first post I have been looking around for a few days searching for an answer to the question I have and I have been unsuccessful so far. So here it is. I am a former automotive technician of 6.5 year and after years of grease and grim I have made the decision to make the switch from the back of the house to the front to sell cars. As I look around I se a whole lot of guys dressed in cheap khakis and golf shirts. I myself have always like the more classic dress and would prefer to wear nice slacks, a dress shirt and a tie, paired with a set of nice shoes (Allen Edmond has peaked my interest both in style and price). which brings me to my question as I am working on an extremely tight budget I have been thinking of using a goal based purchase system where when I reach a personal sales goal rewarding myself with a new item of clothing weather it be a watch shoes shirt etc... my budget will consist of

35-85 shirt
65-120 pant
200-300 shoes (my redwings are 240 so this isn't a stretch)
250-350 watch
and I like the BOGO section at (please forgive me) Mens Wearhouse for ties

I know its a rather small budget to work with but as I said the more goals I reach the better my budget will become.
my hope is to help myself stand out in the crowd to increase my appeal and let them know that they are dealing with a professional

Thanks a lot

p.s. remember I am goal based in my budget so don't get crazy I also have 4 kids and a wife to feed
biggrin.gif

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hello, first post I have been looking around for a few days searching for an answer to the question I have and I have been unsuccessful so far. So here it is. I am a former automotive technician of 6.5 year and after years of grease and grim I have made the decision to make the switch from the back of the house to the front to sell cars. As I look around I se a whole lot of guys dressed in cheap khakis and golf shirts. I myself have always like the more classic dress and would prefer to wear nice slacks, a dress shirt and a tie, paired with a set of nice shoes (Allen Edmond has peaked my interest both in style and price). which brings me to my question as I am working on an extremely tight budget I have been thinking of using a goal based purchase system where when I reach a personal sales goal rewarding myself with a new item of clothing weather it be a watch shoes shirt etc...  my budget will consist of

35-85 shirt
65-120 pant
200-300 shoes (my redwings are 240 so this isn't a stretch)
250-350 watch
and I like the BOGO section at (please forgive me) Mens Wearhouse for ties

I know its a rather small budget to work with but as I said the more goals I reach the better my budget will become.
my hope is to help myself stand out in the crowd to increase my appeal and let them know that they are dealing with a professional

Thanks a lot

p.s. remember I am goal based in my budget so don't get crazy I also have 4 kids and a wife to feed:D

Welcome to the forum, carguy. First things first...if you are not going to wear a jacket, you can cut ties out of your budget. For shoes, you will want a pair of bluchers...oxfords are too formal. Get some trousers that don't look like they are half of a suit. Something with a little texture. Some nice shirts (plenty of blues) with button down collars or soft spreads...no crazy patterns are necessary.

You're spending quite a bit of your budget on a watch...do you really need one? I would rather get another pair of shoes so you can rotate them.

You say you want to stand out, but the key is standing out without making it look like you are trying to. Wearing clothes that fit you properly are the best way to do this. There are so many guys that buy nice things that fit terribly that you can spend a fraction of what they do and look better. Fit is key. Best of luck.

carguy12

Reaction score
Thanks for your input but you didn't really lead me much on where to find these items that are going to be of good quality. A watch is just something I have always wanted do I need one? No. Do I want one? Yes but not a big flashy one. Part of the reason I wanted to get into sales was not only make money but to look good too. I am just fed up with grease and grime. and my plan is to keep my brown APT 9 cheap-o's in the mix until I can afford a few good pairs. and should I stay away from black pants?

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input but you didn't really lead me much on where to find these items that are going to be of good quality. A watch is just something I have always wanted do I need one? No. Do I want one? Yes but not a big flashy one. Part of the reason I wanted to get into sales was not only make money but to look good too. I am just fed up with grease and grime. and my plan is to keep my brown APT 9 cheap-o's in the mix until I can afford a few good pairs. and should I stay away from black pants?

You can browse the Poor Man's Watch Thread for ideas, ask questions, and whatnot. Quality watches in the $200-$300 range abound; Tsovet is a brand to consider as many of theirs hover around that price range, are generally well-reviewed, and they carry a variety of styles.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for your input but you didn't really lead me much on where to find these items that are going to be of good quality.  A watch is just something I have always wanted do I need one? No. Do I want one? Yes but not a big flashy one. Part of the reason I wanted to get into sales was not only make money but to look good too. I am just fed up with grease and grime. and my plan is to keep my brown APT 9 cheap-o's in the mix until I can afford a few good pairs. and should I stay away from black pants?

Black pants...negative.

Carmina makes great shoes and you could use something like this http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/collections/carmina/products/carmina-brown-cap-toe-derby The guys are Skoak are great.

Brooks Brothers is having their big Summer Sale right now so it would be a good time to get some trousers and belts. Tons of options online.

Ehaberdasher is a good place for nice shirts and Brooks shirts aren't bad at all either.

Last edited:

carguy12

Reaction score
I guess I need to be more blunt what brand of shirts and pant can I expect to look for with my budget I shop mostly at Kohl's because of the discount but it is hard to find stuff that fits me the way I should sleeves are usually to long and pant are no different sorry I didn't open my eyes well enough to see the other two names under the links thanks for your help

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads