• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 13, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello,

I am keen on acquiring a new pin stripe suit then I stumbled upon this suit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ralph-Laure...257?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c9af99281

Suit looks okayish for my standard except I have no idea when it was made and pleated pants part.

So I want SF's verdict! What do you think?

Welcome to the forum, genuine. I wouldn't buy it...look for a grey or navy suit. Almost everyone on this forum will tell you that a black suit is the last thing you'd want...unless it's for black tie.

clothesaway

Reaction score
I picked up a Bar III Slim Suit from Macy's on a good sale. It's a 42R with 38x32 pants. I'm 6'-0" ~215lbs.
I think it looks pretty good for the most part. The sleeves might be a little long. The main problem is the stomach area. It is definitely too tight. I'm not sure if a tailor can let enough out to make it work. Any thoughts?

I don't wear suits often at all. Maybe once or twice per year. I just want to have a half decent suit available if need be.

Here are some pictures. Don't mind the button coming off. They gave me even more of a discount for it. I tried pinning the jacket in place to give an idea of how tight it is across the stomach. I also tried on a 44R. The stomach area looks a lot better but I'm worried the shoulders are too wide now. Thoughts on this?

vegasrealtor

Reaction score
Quick question for you guys.. Besides going to a custom shirt maker or buying Brooks Brothers Luxury line, what are some decent shirts brands that do not have breast pockets? I like to get into bidding wars for most of my shirts on ebay but have not been finding many white Brooks Brothers luxury shirts. I would like something similar in quality to Brooks.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Quick question for you guys..  Besides going to a custom shirt maker or buying Brooks Brothers Luxury line, what are some decent shirts brands that do not have breast pockets?  I like to get into bidding wars for most of my shirts on ebay but have not been finding many white Brooks Brothers luxury shirts.  I would like something similar in quality to Brooks.

Barba, Finamore, and Borelli to name a few. Shop the Finest and eHaberdasher are two places to find them at good prices....great customer service too.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick question for you guys..  Besides going to a custom shirt maker or buying Brooks Brothers Luxury line, what are some decent shirts brands that do not have breast pockets?  I like to get into bidding wars for most of my shirts on ebay but have not been finding many white Brooks Brothers luxury shirts.  I would like something similar in quality to Brooks.

You can have a shirt pocket removed. Its super simple but I would hesitate against doing it if the shirt is preowned. Brand new absolutely.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

caught inside

Reaction score
I have a navy pin striped suit that I bought about 8 years ago before I new anything about proper fit. It has all the markings of a suit that does not fit properly including the baggy, pleated pants. I was thinking of bringing this suit to an expert tailor that I use and having it re-cut to fit me properly and having the pants tapered so I don't look like MC Hammer in the early 90's. I thought it might be kinda cool to have a suit with pleated pants since I have nothing like this at all. Any thoughts on how this might look if I have the pants tailored?

Thanks
CI

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a navy pin striped suit that I bought about 8 years ago before I new anything about proper fit. It has all the markings of a suit that does not fit properly including the baggy, pleated pants. I was thinking of bringing this suit to an expert tailor that I use and having it re-cut to fit me properly and having the pants tapered so I don't look like MC Hammer in the early 90's. I thought it might be kinda cool to have a suit with pleated pants since I have nothing like this at all. Any thoughts on how this might look if I have the pants tailored?

Thanks
CI

Welcome to the forum, c i. It really depends how big the pants are and how much work they need. If you have a good tailor, talk to him/her and see what they think.

KingPalm

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here, ( have been reading for a while without registering though).
I'm 33 years and I have recently decided to upgrade my style, I was still dressing like I was 15 years ago ( jeans, tshirt, sneakers)
I own an internet based business since I was 20. For work I never really needed to dress up so I have virtually no experience with dressier clothes.

My question is how does this look suit me?
And would this be ok to wear to dinner? Keep in mind that I live in Aruba where it's accepted in restaurants to leave the jacket at home due to the climate.
Or is this look to much of an "I just came from work and didnt have time to change"

The shirt is an MTM from modern tailor, I'm very happy with the fit considering the fact that it is my first order at mt, actually my first mtm ever, and the only size knowledge I had was Small, Medium, Large.
The pants are of the rack, I feel they are a little wide below the knee

Since have little experience I followed some tips from this forum and kept it simple.
I really like how it looks myself. But I see a lot of "style rookies" on this forum thinking they look good only to find out that it's the opposite. So please do critique!!!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here, ( have been reading for a while without registering though).
I'm 33 years and I have recently decided to upgrade my style, I was still dressing like I was 15 years ago ( jeans, tshirt, sneakers)
I own an internet based business since I was 20. For work I never really needed to dress up so I have virtually no experience with dressier clothes.

My question is how does this look suit me?
And would this be ok to wear to dinner? Keep in mind that I live in Aruba where it's accepted in restaurants to leave the jacket at home due to the climate.
Or is this look to much of an "I just came from work and didnt have time to change"

The shirt is an MTM from modern tailor, I'm very happy with the fit considering the fact that it is my first order at mt, actually my first mtm ever, and the only size knowledge I had was Small, Medium, Large.
The pants are of the rack, I feel they are a little wide below the knee

Since have little experience I followed some tips from this forum and kept it simple.
I really like how it looks myself. But I see a lot of "style rookies" on this forum thinking they look good only to find out that it's the opposite. So please do critique!!!

Welcome to the forum, KP. You're not doing bad at all for just getting started. Shirt fit looks really good and the trousers look like a good fit as well. You could have them tapered below the knee, but I think they look fine as is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads