• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 13, 2015

sydneycentric

Reaction score
Evening all,

Quick question. Hilditch & Key appear to be having a sale with some great reductions on their ties. I'm wondering if anyone can attest to the quality of their ties before I slap a whole lot of $$ down on their ties? When at the online checkout, how is VAT deducted from the price?

Warmest regards, Sydneycentric.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Evening all,

Quick question. Hilditch & Key appear to be having a sale with some great reductions on their ties. I'm wondering if anyone can attest to the quality of their ties before I slap a whole lot of $$ down on their ties? When at the online checkout, how is VAT deducted from the price?

Warmest regards, Sydneycentric.

I've only handled them in a store and they are so so. Not terrible, not great. For VAT, it is usually deducted after you select a shipping location outside of the UK during checkout.

twiceasgneiss

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a sort of 'all-in-one' suit that can be worn to my graduation ball next summer as well as to job interviews.

(Also, I'm now of the age where my friends are starting to get married, so weddings are likely to become a more common occurrence in coming years, so it would be useful if the suit could be worn at these as well...)

This will be my first suit so I really have no idea where to begin. I just know that my budget is around £500, I would preferably like a slim-fitting suit and as for colour preferably black or dark navy.

From my initial research brands within my budget include Hugo Boss, Emporio Armani and DKNY to name a few. However other forum posts would suggest that 'big brand' suits at this price point are of poor quality vs. an expensive M&S suit for example - so it's all a bit confusing to me.

Some of my friends swear by ASOS or Topman for suits, however I would much rather spend £500 vs £150 if it means making a better impression (interviews). In my opinion, although these suits look nice and seem to be of a decent quality they never seem to be a perfect fit and maybe hang too low or the trousers are slightly baggy despite being advertised as 'slim/skinny' fit.

I understand that with my budget I won't be able to get a made to measure hand crafted suit (or am I?) but I would like something at least half decent.

So if anyone can give me some advice on the style, colour and brand of suit as well as shirt/tie colour combinations to meet the above requirements it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a sort of 'all-in-one' suit that can be worn to my graduation ball next summer as well as to job interviews.

(Also, I'm now of the age where my friends are starting to get married, so weddings are likely to become a more common occurrence in coming years, so it would be useful if the suit could be worn at these as well...)

This will be my first suit so I really have no idea where to begin. I just know that my budget is around £500, I would preferably like a slim-fitting suit and as for colour preferably black or dark navy.

From my initial research brands within my budget include Hugo Boss, Emporio Armani and DKNY to name a few. However other forum posts would suggest that 'big brand' suits at this price point are of poor quality vs. an expensive M&S suit for example - so it's all a bit confusing to me.

Some of my friends swear by ASOS or Topman for suits, however I would much rather spend £500 vs £150 if it means making a better impression (interviews). In my opinion, although these suits look nice and seem to be of a decent quality they never seem to be a perfect fit and maybe hang too low or the trousers are slightly baggy despite being advertised as 'slim/skinny' fit.

I understand that with my budget I won't be able to get a made to measure hand crafted suit (or am I?) but I would like something at least half decent.

So if anyone can give me some advice on the style, colour and brand of suit as well as shirt/tie colour combinations to meet the above requirements it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, twice. You need a mid grey or navy single breasted suit from one of these two places

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/home

http://ehaberdasher.com/index.php/designers/benjamin.html#!/p=clear&product_type=156&order=name

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, CT. They are called turn back cuffs....shown here by member Butler
I believe some folks do call them "gauntlet cuffs," also.

As for how they're read, they're very much a Savile Row touch – for folks who have bespoke suits, and don't need to be shy about that.

@perster john

I was reasonably happy with desert boots (unconstructed, dark brown suede, crepe soles) for my recent trip to Shanghai. They were good shoes to travel in, and looked fairly presentable. I often wore them to walk two or three miles. On the days when I spent 14 hours on my feet, I wore sneakers. But I'm used to walking quite a bit in leather-soled dress shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics