Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JAN 11, 2016

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Murlsquirl, Jan 10, 2016.

1. TheDon11

TheDon11 Member

I think you posted this in the wrong thread.

2. Daraven

Daraven Member

No, I was replying to heldentenor's answer to my new members question...

3. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

4. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Kent Wang is an Affiliate Vendor of ours that has a MTM program a lot of members are happy with. You can check out his thread here on the forum or website for more info.

The second question is hard to answer. In short, beposke should always result in a better fit than MTM. There are bespoke tailors that aren't so great and some real bad MTM out there. That said, good bespoke should always be better than good MTM. I'm saying all of this as a guy with some good MTM, but I'm not a bespoke customer at the moment. I really think you should stick around here for a while and do some research before you jump into rebuilding your wardrobe. Otherwise, you might waste even more money...we've all done it.

5. Murlsquirl

Yep, pretty sure he is and I really like what I've seen from there MTM results. Stop changing your damn avatar! Confusing the hell out of me.

6. Technica

Technica Active Member

Hello, new SF member here.

I am looking for a nice pair of military style leather boots for this winter, and came across the Crockett and Jones Coniston boots which I really like.

They are available in both navy and tan colours, and while I really love the navy, how versatile of a colour is navy for shoes? Is it too restrictive or can it be worn with many different outfits incl suit? Would the tan be more versatile?

I normally wear very smart to work, a pair of nice chinos and button up shirt and overcoat/trench coat is my usual attire.

Thanks!

7. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Sure. If you don't mind buying from overseas, the current exchange rate means that both Henry Carter in Australia and Exquisite Trimmings in the UK are great deals. I have ties from both and recommend them highly. In the US, Conrad Wu and Kent Wang both sell solid staples for reasonable prices. Some of these brands offer discounts to StyleForum members, so check their respective affiliate threads to see how that works.

8. Daraven

Daraven Member

Thank you very much sir! Having a quick look around Exquisite Trimmings before bed time... somehow my brain instantly focuses on the blue ones though. Help!

9. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

This is a job for @Claghorn . He will likely tell you that a solid brown and a solid or neat patterned green should be high on your list if you have some navy already--advice that I wholeheartedly endorse.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016

10. Bengan

Bengan Member

Apparently it costs SEK 23,000, which is almost US$ 3,000. That's more than I am willing too spend, I'm afraid.

A couple of hours of googling turned up two more shops that list fabric weights and sell suits made of 14 ounce cloth:

http://www.cordings.co.uk/menswear/city-suits
    http://www.pakeman.co.uk/category/110/Single_Breasted_Suits

I'll probably go for the grey birdseye suit from Pakeman, Catto & Carter.

11. TheDon11

TheDon11 Member

Brook Brothers just announced a 25% off MTM sale, which includes 1818 and Golden Fleece. I would like to know how the 1818 fabric compares to the barberis super 110s and whether I should consider the BB MTM over the local tailor.

12. Murlsquirl

1818 is not a fabric, it is their main suit line. They have many...346 (outlet), Golden Fleece (their best stuff), etc. If you have a 1818 MTM suit made, you will be able to choose from dozens of fabrics; VBC included. I've seen some good results from BB MTM, but have no idea what it costs.

13. TheDon11

TheDon11 Member

Thanks for your reply. Based on my research I cant go wrong with a MTM VBC super 110s 2x2 weave for $795 CAD ($560 USD). What would be the next tier fabric?

14. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

[​IMG]

15. hi123

hi123 Member

Hi guys I'm a style noob.

Please help.

What are the essentials?

There are so many lists online and they are all so different. I know it's a very open ended questions and it depends on what I already have but I pretty much hate all my wardrobe.

The first things I'm thinking of getting are:

navy blazer

new pair of jeans

white dress shirt

black cap-toe oxfords (BTW what is a second set of shoes I should get which are versatile and I can wear with different things and different occasions? I'm sure it has to be brown but I'm still not sure)

reversible black/brown belt

navy blue/grey v-neck jumper(sweater)

1. Are any of these non-essential. Which would you remove and what would you add?

2. What is the 1st type of trousers you would buy and the 2nd other than jeans?

3. 2nd set of shoes that are versatile.

Thanks so much guys :D