• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF DEC 21, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

clubmcgee

Reaction score
Hello all, I've recently decided to step up my wardrobe game with some better clothes. I wandered to a thrift shop and picked up a worsted wool navy sport jacket for 75 cents. I'm very interested in the history of this brand. It says tailors row by deansgate and made in U.S.A. I've searched the forums and found nothing on the topic as well as a Google search. Any insight on this clothing brand would be greatly appreciated.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello all, I've recently decided to step up my wardrobe game with some better clothes. I wandered to a thrift shop and picked up a worsted wool navy sport jacket for 75 cents. I'm very interested in the history of this brand. It says tailors row by deansgate and made in U.S.A. I've searched the forums and found nothing on the topic as well as a Google search. Any insight on this clothing brand would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, @clubmcgee If you can take a picture of the label and post it here http://www.styleforum.net/t/24109/hof-labels-heels-and-nail-patterns-secrets-to-id-the-maker or http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/the-official-thrift-discount-store-bragging-thread, the guys in there might be able to help you out.

Mansterystylist

Reaction score
Hi I'm also new to the community and to a large extent to the bespoke culture. I'm an intern at a newly formed company out of NYC that makes bespoke shirts and suits. Obviously I've had to become knowlodgeable in this area of menswear however I wanted to know more about how people generally quantify the quality of a bespoke creation, specifically shirts and suits. What are they looking for or at? Grazie!

SargeMaximus

Reaction score
Hi guys, what's happening?

So I'm looking into getting a suit for daily wear. casual, but still stylish. I'm copying the outfit seen here:

As you can see, I just need the jacket. Jeans are what he's wearing on the bottom.

Basically I need a suit that's durable (not something you wear to a high-class function), and cheap as I'm a po' boy. :p

any help would be appreciated, and while we're here, can I wear my wayfairer raybans with this instead of the aviators? And what would be a good belt/shoes combo for this? Thanks guys.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So I'm looking into getting a suit for daily wear. casual, but still stylish. I'm copying the outfit seen here:

As you can see, I just need the jacket. Jeans are what he's wearing on the bottom.

Basically I need a suit that's durable (not something you wear to a high-class function), and cheap as I'm a po' boy. :p

any help would be appreciated, and while we're here, can I wear my wayfairer raybans with this instead of the aviators? And what would be a good belt/shoes combo for this? Thanks guys.

Welcome to the forum, Sarge. I would just search eBay if you need something cheap. I don't really know what kind of shoes to reccomend for a suit jacket with denim....it's not something I'd ever reccomend anyone wears. Do what you do though. Best of luck.

rube

Reaction score

What is this picture and why are you copying it?

Either way - you can wear whatever sunglasses you like. For a cheap blazer, try Uniqlo or H&M. Don't get black - it's not versatile, go for Navy or gray. Both of those stores probably also have belts on the cheap. Uniqlo's Italian leather are a good option. Shoes depend on the cut of your jeans and they should match your belt. Maybe chukka or an ankleboot... try Aldo for more affordable stuff. And match your leathers.

Newberry

Reaction score

Hello SF. Do u guys think this J.Crew Ludlow Blazer would look good with Wolverine 1K Boots? I'm trying to find out how to wear it casually. Thanks!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hello SF. Do u guys think this J.Crew Ludlow Blazer would look good with Wolverine 1K Boots? I'm trying to find out how to wear it casually. Thanks!

Not really, man. Chinos and chukkas would work well though.

worakl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey MCers of CM. I'm a freshly baked student just out of college, and I'm looking for some tie-assistance. I currently own this suit:

So a very standard navy affair. I own plain white and blue shirts to go with it, but no acceptable ties. I'm looking to get maybe 2-4 to start out with, and I'm not made of money even if I can stretch the budget a bit (any good sales going on?). Anyway, I'm just looking for advice on where my priorities should be in terms of materials, colours, and width etc.

Black shoes, northern Europe, white as a sheet.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey MCers of CM. I'm a freshly baked student just out of college, and I'm looking for some tie-assistance. I currently own this suit:

So a very standard navy affair. I own plain white and blue shirts to go with it, but no acceptable ties. I'm looking to get maybe 2-4 to start out with, and I'm not made of money even if I can stretch the budget a bit (any good sales going on?). Anyway, I'm just looking for advice on where my priorities should be in terms of materials, colours, and width etc.

Black shoes, northern Europe, white as a sheet.

Brooks Brothers in having their semi-annual sale right now. How much can you budget for 3 ties?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
First one is nice. Second is too casual for a navy suit. I've heard good things about Berg, but never heard of the third brand.

1skibum

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm 24 and am starting a job in pubic accounting in January. The workplace is business casual, so I have a bunch of shirts, ties and slacks bought, but I still need shoes. I currently have a pair of black wingtips and brown loafers that I can wear, but I need a few more shoe choices. I like wearing loafers so I was going to pick up a pair of mahogany Cole Haan Tassel loafers as well as a pair of black loafers. Would this be a good choice or are those shoes for "older" men? I'm looking for something that's around $100/pair, so any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/cole-ha...goryid=0&fashionColor=Mahogany&resultback=419

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/cole-ha...ategoryid=0&fashionColor=Black&resultback=419

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm 24 and am starting a job in pubic accounting in January. The workplace is business casual, so I have a bunch of shirts, ties and slacks bought, but I still need shoes. I currently have a pair of black wingtips and brown loafers that I can wear, but I need a few more shoe choices. I like wearing loafers so I was going to pick up a pair of mahogany Cole Haan Tassel loafers as well as a pair of black loafers. Would this be a good choice or are those shoes for "older" men? I'm looking for something that's around $100/pair, so any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/cole-ha...goryid=0&fashionColor=Mahogany&resultback=419

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/cole-ha...ategoryid=0&fashionColor=Black&resultback=419

Welcome to the forum, @1skibum . I really don't like loafers (especially tassels), so can I suggest a chukka boot or a shortwing derby?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads