• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 10, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

nolledw

Reaction score
Can someone please help me identify some of these boots? In the first picture what kind/brand of boots are the lowest boots in the photo? In the second photo, what kind/brand of boots are the second boots in from the left (the tan boots with red socks) as well as the burgundy pair to the right of them? In the third photo, what kind/brand of boots are the boots third from the top in the right column? Lastly, in the fourth photo what kind/brand of boots is the man wearing? Thanks!
5bc4a789c0adad2bb521dcc565c92227.jpg
e6cff04e2350589f5a0ecd56807393de.jpg
0cb12ffa18e6dcd27d6edb1f284a38a4.jpg
c9765a88d1040bb8c71ca142f4a1daee.jpg

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can someone please help me identify some of these boots? In the first picture what kind/brand of boots are the lowest boots in the photo? In the second photo, what kind/brand of boots are the second boots in from the left (the tan boots with red socks) as well as the burgundy pair to the right of them? In the third photo, what kind/brand of boots are the boots third from the top in the right column? Lastly, in the fourth photo what kind/brand of boots is the man wearing? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, nulled. One of them could be these Quoddy...or something very similar

http://www.quoddy.com/collections/mens/products/grizzly-boot-1

The last ones look similar to these from Oak Street Bootmakers

http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/footwear/natural-captoe-trench-boot

nolledw

Reaction score
Thanks! The ones in the first picture are definitely the quoddy boots. Those are very good looking. I'm still very curious about the tan boot with red socks on the second picture and the third boot from the top in the right column in the third picture. Any thoughts?

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does a flannel shirt and a linen jacket look incongruous?

MDisciple87

Reaction score
Couple of related questions:

1. 3 or 4 stud holes on a tuxedo shirt? I've read that traditional/old styles took only 3, but it is much more common now to find 4 holes. It seems that a lot of the time the vintage sets of studs on Ebay have only 3 studs.

2. Are 4 stud holes then frowned up by the 'classists'?

3. Getting a shirt made at Proper Cloth and they do 4 holes. Could a tailor remove the stitching on the back enclosure, sew the fabric and add a button to 'make' another buttoned hole? Is this weird or even necessary?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I thought so but wasn't sure. I was thinking of a flannel Portuguese Flannel shirt with and linen sport coat but I had a feeling it might not work. Thanks again!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks! The ones in the first picture are definitely the quoddy boots. Those are very good looking. I'm still very curious about the tan boot with red socks on the second picture and the third boot from the top in the right column in the third picture. Any thoughts?

Pretty sure they are the same brand, but I'm not 100%. I think I've seen them before, but can't remember where.

Last edited:

vegasrealtor

Reaction score
Here is a quick question about alterations. I have 2 pairs of chinos that need the waist taken in and the crotch needs to be taken up about 2-3 inches nearly! My question is, by taking in the crotch seam, would the leg inseam have to become shorter? Im trying to figure it out in my head but can't figure out another way they could bring it all up higher without the legs becoming shorter.

nolledw

Reaction score
Pretty sure they are the same brand, but I'm not 100%. I think I've seen them before, but can't remember where.
yeah, they look similar, but different styles or color ways. I feel like I saw something similar sold on jcrew.com last fall but I can't remember the brand. I checked both jcrew.com and the factory website and they are no longer available. :/

MDisciple87

Reaction score
Couple of related questions:

1. 3 or 4 stud holes on a tuxedo shirt? I've read that traditional/old styles took only 3, but it is much more common now to find 4 holes. It seems that a lot of the time the vintage sets of studs on Ebay have only 3 studs.

2. Are 4 stud holes then frowned up by the 'classists'?

3. Getting a shirt made at Proper Cloth and they do 4 holes. Could a tailor remove the stitching on the back enclosure, sew the fabric and add a button to 'make' another buttoned hole? Is this weird or even necessary?
Bump

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads