• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New member - French cuff question

JAY1688

Reaction score
Hi All,

New member here :)
Recently landed a new job which means I'll need to be wearing a suit every day.I just received my Charles Tyrwhitt shirts I ordered online and I have a question about whether my sleeves are too short.

I ordered collar size, 40-41cm and sleeves 84cm in extra slim.I stand about 5'8" to 5'9".

I have included a few pictures. The sleeves seem to sit well on my wrists when arms are by my side. However, with any kind of movement, they ride up the arm.I have not bought any suits yet, so unfortunately cannot show what it looks like with a jacket. However, I just want some opinions on whether the sleeves are too short or not. Next size up would be 86cm.

Thanks in advance guys!

Astaroth

Reaction score
The sleeve length looks ok and certainly 2cm longer would be too long.

How a sleeve rides up etc as you bend your arm/ shoulder depends on multiple elements of the cut - same goes for shirts and jackets. It was one of the large improvements I found when switching to bespoke.

JAY1688

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys, I've always had shirts far too long in the past and I guess I'm just not used to one that is the right length!
I think it's really the underarm/shoulder that is causing it to ride up.

AriG

Reaction score
If they were barrell cuffs, id say too short for sure (otherwise how short would the jacket sleeves need to be), just hope they dont shrink further ... With french cuffs its probably borderline fine.

Last edited:

Lucan

Reaction score
You probably need to wash just one shirt 2 or 3 times to test the shrinkage before you make a final decision.

Also bear in mind that we in desk jobs spend most of the day with our arms bent!

JAY1688

Reaction score
I don't want to go through the hassle of opening all the shirts (bought 4 in total), so would I just need to run the same shirt through the wash a couple times in a row or do I need to let it dry then wash again?

JAY1688

Reaction score
Sorry, but the advice these gentlemen gave you above is wrong. Your sleeves are too short. The should be reaching to the first knuckle of your thumb while standing. This will ensure the proper length when your arm is bent (which is most of the time).

http://propercloth.com/reference/how-the-sleeve-length-should-fit/
Ok now you've really confused me and I don't know who to believe!

Since the next size up is 2cm longer, would that then be too long? Would I be better off with how it is now or perhaps a shirt a little too long?

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok now you've really confused me and I don't know who to believe!

Since the next size up is 2cm longer, would that then be too long? Would I be better off with how it is now or perhaps a shirt a little too long?

I provided a link to the site of Proper Cloth, a.respected shirtmaker. So it's obvious whom you should believe. ;)
I'd say 2cm extra is no problem.

nubirth

Reaction score
Im completely new to getting the correct lengths for dress shirts.........but even I know that them sleeves are too short.....................

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hard to tell...but looks a bit short(for my taste) once you are wearing a jacket.
Also, the shoes don't go with that look.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if the shirt has never been washed, then it is too short.

2cm longer will be the shrinkage.

go with the longer length

if you do wash twice.
let the shirt dry in between washings.

do not put it in a hot dryer!

FYI those [pants are too tight.

Astaroth

Reaction score
I provided a link to the site of Proper Cloth, a.respected shirtmaker. So it's obvious whom you should believe.
wink.gif

I'd say 2cm extra is no problem.
You'll note your respected shirtmaker explicitly says it should be that long when undone where as the OP's photo is of a fastened cuff

If the shirt is unwashed then I would be concerned about shrinkage as there is little spare length

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't want to go through the hassle of opening all the shirts (bought 4 in total), so would I just need to run the same shirt through the wash a couple times in a row or do I need to let it dry then wash again?

Hand wash in your sink with a drop of detergent. Then air dry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads