• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New member and first bespoke suit: looking for some advice on style

danielvh

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is a cross-post from Ask Andy's forum but I was told this place is better to ask about bespoke advice. Basically, I'm going to be getting a bespoke suit made soon when I get back to my hometown of Perth (Western Australia). I'm looking for it to be the first piece of a new wardrobe I'm trying to build (I currently have other suits but none of them are that great). I'm also a fairly big guy so would like it to be suitable for my size.

As some background: I work in management consulting where the dress code is generally relatively informal (no jacket, no tie) but more formal when meeting clients, at least for the first time. So I need something versatile that I can dress up and down. I was thinking a 3-piece where I mostly I would only wear the waistcoat and something like a button-down shirt most of the time, but then add the jacket, nicer shirt (non button-down) and tie when meeting clients.

So here's what I'm thinking:
- 3-piece charcoal
- Not sure on fabric type/weight. I prefer the look of the heavier weights and they seem to drape better but Perth is a fairly hot climate.
- Single-breast jacket with 2 buttons or possible a 3-roll-2 (the AAAC guys convinced me against a 3-button). Horizontal pockets with flaps?
- Dual side vents
- Trousers designed to be only worn with braces
- Probably standard trouser pocket style. I was thinking horizontal but noone at AAAC seemed to like the idea
- Working real horn buttons on the jacket
- Button fly (just a personal preference over zip which I think looks a little cheap)
- Probably double forward-facing pleats on the trousers
- Standard height turn-ups/cuffs on trousers.
- Not sure on waistcoat style; thoughts?

Also, what do you guys recommend for ways to wear good clothes but conform to a business-casual office environment. The standard around the office is dress trousers, nice shoes and dress shirt with no tie, but preferably I'd like to go just a little more formal than this (hence why I want the option to wear just the waistcoat. I guess I'll also use V-neck knitwear and possibly a north face or RM Williams lightweight fleece vest)

Also, I could do with some shirt advice as well (will probably get some made at the same time). While wearing a tie the 3-piece or 2-piece without the waistcoat I'd probably instinctively go for a point collar and 2-button barrel cuffs (I think cufflinks would be seen as a bit too flashy), and while just wearing a waistcoat without a tie I was leaning towards button-down, probably also with 2-button barrel cuffs.

Any other advice?

Thanks and sorry for the long post,

Daniel

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot support wearing the trousers and vest without a tie unless you are an Omnisexual Rock God:

Bowie1.jpg

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would advise against a 3 piece for your first commission. I imagine your first suit will not be perfect fitting, so don't spend the extra coin for the vest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads