• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New member - advice needed on suit/tie/pocket square combo

stylejk

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new member and look forward to contributing to the forums!

I need some advice on the colour combination of the attached picture. Personally I really like it but some have said the pocket square doesn't go. The shirt is a light grey colour so I don't think I can get away with having a generic white pocket square.

Thanks
WhatsApp Image 2019-06-12 at 14.44.50.jpeg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. You certainly can use a plain white handkerchief
2. I like the square that you show w/ the suit.

amiga505

Reaction score
I am relatively new to the subject, and certainly new here, so you may take my advice with a pinch of salt. to my eye it's too much texture: you are wearing a wide lapel jacket, with a vest which also has a pretty wide lapel, all in herringbone, which is pretty bold. I would suggest ditching the shirt in favour of a plain white one. keep the tie and wear a white linen pocket square with a red/burgundy border.

stylejk

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. A few more would be appreciated before I weigh up everyone's opinions.

suitedcboy

Reaction score
Your opinion matters most. I think that pocket square achieves giving the suit/shirt/tie additional colors and adds interest. I'm 61 and usually do quieter pocket squares but it is all contextual and personal and I have some meetings or events I will attend and I feel bolder and do more textures and wider ranging colors. Conservative dressers will think it too much and those who always want something unique will says it is too safe. Where do you want this outfit to be on that scale?

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.