New manufacturing of Silk Plush Top Hats.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Tibor, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

No one wears top hats.
    Don't be so negative, you are ruining our iGent experience. After getting that squirrel armor, I've been spoiled and now I wonder if they would make a squirrel top hat?

2. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

I'm not paying four hundred and fifty quid for a hat. I could get a car for that.

They have them on ebay. I might see if I can find a tape measure that'll go all the way round this head of mine.

But would it be a car you would want to be seen in? [​IMG]

3. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I shall order one of these hats at once. It will add a touch of elegance and panache to the next white-tie event we attend.

Oh, hey, I forgot, we don't even go to black-tie events. More's the pity! Another iGent fantasy dashed!

4. Film Noir Buff

I shall order one of these hats at once. It will add a touch of elegance and panache to the next white-tie event we attend. Oh, hey, I forgot, we don't even go to black-tie events. More's the pity! Another iGent fantasy dashed!
    Thems fightin' words [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the best silk used to come from france. Didn't the last firm making it fold in the 50s. Maybe RJman can weigh in on this.
    Famously, the equipment was thrown into the river Seine. Edit: The wiki article merely mentions that they were destroyed, citing to NJS's book. I know the history of the destruction of the equipment has sources older than that. Anyone else have more info?

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

The few times I have worn tails I have not worn a hat. I would have had I been able to find a good one, but all I could find were cheesy wool felt ones that looked like they were from the costume department at Alice in Wonderland. The first time (1990), there were a few hats. One other time (1993) there were a lot of hats. The last time (2003) absolutely no one else had a hat that I saw, and this was in London.

I fully expect never to wear tails again for the rest of my life.

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Famously, the equipment was thrown into the river Seine.
    Edit: The wiki article merely mentions that they were destroyed, citing to NJS's book. I know the history of the destruction of the equipment has sources older than that. Anyone else have more info?

I think it is in Boyer's first book but I don't have it handy.

9. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

The few times I have worn tails I have not worn a hat. I would have had I been able to find a good one, but all I could find were cheesy wool felt ones that looked like they were from the costume department at Alice in Wonderland. The last time (2003, I think) absolutely no one else had a hat that I saw, and this was in London.

I fully expect never to wear tails again for the rest of my life.

There's a brisk business in used hats fueled by Ascot.

There are very nice ones around.

- B

10. Tibor

Tibor Senior member

What is an igent? Am I considered an igent because I wear silk plush top hats when strolling around town? Or in order to be an igent do you have to be part of a special group and/or club, or philosophy? Does the "I" mean virtual as in Internet?

11. Tibor

Tibor Senior member

I will let you guys know the quality when it arrives. I expect to be thoroughly impressed ,and I own top hats as far back as the 1870's.

12. Film Noir Buff

What is an igent? Am I considered an igent because I wear silk plush top hats when strolling around town? Or in order to be an igent do you have to be part of a special group and/or club, or philosophy? Does the "I" mean virtual as in Internet?
    The doors of the iGentry are open to all who share the same values and ideals. The "i" does mean Internet. While strolling around town in a top hat in and of itself would not qualify you for iGent status, wearing one with a day suit certainly makes you a contender. If you also wear a monocle and use a walking stick, you are a shoe in.[​IMG]

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

...you are a shoe in.[​IMG]

Shouldn't that be "shoo-in"? (And no, I'm not making any puns about former members.)

14. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Don't be so negative, you are ruining our iGent experience. After getting that squirrel armor, I've been spoiled and now I wonder if they would make a squirrel top hat?
    I would never see a need for myself to wear a top hat and would, therefore, have no interest in purchasing one. However, I can certainly understand someone, like Tibor, who finds interest in wearing one and dressing up as a hobby. It seems rather odd for a grown man to ridicule another man, anonymously I might add, for their particular clothing hobby when the one performing the ridicule runs a web site and clearly spends many hours each week devoted to reading and discussing the finer points of clothing. I would imagine 99% of the population would find each man's clothing obsessions particularly peculiar. I'd also imagine 99% of the population would find that the grown man with a clothing obsession who finds the need to ridicule others for their clothing obsession is a particular and less pleasant strain of unusual. Bravo to Tibor for having the security to embrace his interest.

15. Film Noir Buff

Shouldn't that be "shoo-in"? (And no, I'm not making any puns about former members.)
    Yes, it appears you are correct.