• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Macs next week: preview/speculation

mcpaul

Reaction score
I've been following on MacRumors and 9to5mac, and after reading all the rumors, I'm not expecting anything major.

I do get confused by one mockup though, where your new macbook pro seemingly slides right into the side of a monitor as a "docking station" of sorts.

I'm not risking my book getting scratched up everytime I dock it. I don't know about you.

Interesting rumors about networked HDTV though. But again, just that, just rumors.

MacWorld in January, as always, will be where any big reveals are announced.

Odd Morsel

Reaction score
Being a graphic designer, I've always been a Mac guy, and while we always watch the liveblogs at work, I'm usually more interested in the "new" refurbs and clearance items that inevitably follow the new releases/refreshes
wink.gif

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm this close to buying a new 24" imac, but the one thing that's holding me back is the glossy screen. i suspect that if i give in and buy it, apple will announce new imacs the day afterward, "now available with a matte screen."

so for now, i wait.

Mauby

Reaction score
There are a flurry of mac rumor sites. Sometimes, they're dead-on about what to expect, such as the latest iPod nano. None of them seemed to know about the MacBook Air until it came out. It's really hit or miss. It definitely is time for an update across the macbook lineup. I personallly would like to see a 13" MacBook Pro. I would love a suitable replacement for my 6 year old 12" Powerbook.

Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i'm this close to buying a new 24" imac, but the one thing that's holding me back is the glossy screen. i suspect that if i give in and buy it, apple will announce new imacs the day afterward, "now available with a matte screen."

so for now, i wait.

If you want the 24", just get it now. No sense in waiting. Macs have excellent resale value. If they ever did come out with a matte screen, you could sell yours that day for close to what you paid. Get a refurbished 24" and save some cash.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am sorely tempted to crack a joke regarding apples new manufacturing process. But i will hold off as long as I can.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
If you want the 24", just get it now. No sense in waiting. Macs have excellent resale value. If they ever did come out with a matte screen, you could sell yours that day for close to what you paid. Get a refurbished 24" and save some cash.

i really hate the glossy screen. it's a deal breaker for me, and i don't think i'm alone. i'm sure they made the imac glossy-screen-only to force image editors into spending more for a mac pro.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I am sorely tempted to crack a joke regarding apples new manufacturing process. But i will hold off as long as I can.
do tell.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i really hate the glossy screen. it's a deal breaker for me, and i don't think i'm alone. i'm sure they made the imac glossy-screen-only to force image editors into spending more for a mac pro.

i'm curious, what's so bad about the glossy screen other than the fact that it's hard to see outside in direct sunlight?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bach
i'm curious, what's so bad about the glossy screen other than the fact that it's hard to see outside in direct sunlight?

if you do any kind of image editing, say you are a photographer or a video editor, you need to see what your content truly looks like. the glossy screen gives you a hyper saturated, hyper contrasty look, which is not bad in and of itself , but is not necessarily accurate. also, i found it had tremendous glare when i used it at the apple store, which is not "outside in direct sunlight."

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads