• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New MacBook Pro

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new MBP line / the refresh was released today.

Apple aficionados, what say ye? (While any posts are welcome, "Mac's suck" comments are not particularly helpful, like price comparisons to non-Mac options -- those opinions and options are common knowledge.)

I found the update to be painfully predictable, and lacking the uptick in technology Apple has been known for in the past when it does it's first release.

For example, no Blu Ray, no low energy display (like the iPad), no USB-3, still 4 Gigs of Ram, still no 1TB hard drive ... and still expensive.

There are definitely good points -- including the welcome i5 and i7 (although not quad core) processors and improved graphics, but overall after patiently awaiting what was coming, I'm not in a rush to buy.

Mauby

Reaction score
I picked up a MBP 13 back in January...the new 13 isn't much different than that one, so I'm not kicking myself that I "should've waited." I think Apple is least concerned with their laptops or desktops now. It's all about iTunes, iPods, iPhones, and iPads now...all of which I really have no interest in.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't like the unibody designs; the previous all aluminum body was far more appealing than this two-tone look, which looks a bit cheesy.

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
can you still upgrade the ram as easily as the 08 models?

remove batter, 4 screws, hello ram.

blairh

Reaction score
I have the previous model MBP. OP I think you are going to hard on Apple here. 10 hour battery life (probably more like 7 -8 hrs) is an amazing feature for the 13". 15" & 17" got battery bumps too. Bumping those models to i5 & i7 was a little overdue. I'm sure consumers would have liked an i5 in the 13" model too, but no surprise there.

Blu-Ray? Don't hold your breath sir. If Macs ever get the Blu-Ray option I reckon you'll see them first in an iMac and then in a MBP. I do think Apple should make it an option at the least.

The previous base model MBP (mine) came standard with 2 GB, so let's not overlook the fact that they bumped it to 4 GB. 1TB HD? Well, Apple is notorious for hijacking their customers on HD space (and charging absurd amounts to upgrade through them). Business as usual on their side. Still expensive? This is Apple. As long as you want to buy their products you'll be paying a premium price.

Honestly this was meant to only be a spec bump, and it's a good one. The unibody design is relatively new. I don't see their MBP changing drastically for at least another year. And truth be told, I love mine. LED screen is fantastic, 4.5 lbs is comfortable to carry around, trackpad is awesome. Well worth the money I laid down months back.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pauliodotnet
can you still upgrade the ram as easily as the 08 models?

remove batter, 4 screws, hello ram.

no.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are the official instructions on how to upgrade RAM on the later (single-piece) unibodies:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270

Basically you have to remove 10 screws, which are composed of 3 different-length screws.

--Andre

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new ones are nice certainly, but not different enough from the previous model warrant an 'upgrade'.

I don't see Apple conforming to Bluray technology any time soon. Bluray will be on the path to obsolescence in a few years once HD streaming becomes more prevalent and that is the path Apple will take...HD streaming and downloading via itunes

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
I have an early 2008 model MBP - i was offered 1000 for it, so I am going to just go ahead an upgrade, but was making sure I could upgrade the ram.

Their price for ram/HD is absolutely asinine. I always remove and sell ram and replace with crucial or the likes.

i think this is a solid upgrade, wish the MB came w/ i5.

on the highest 15 MBP, there is an option to get it up to 3.06i believe.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ram prices for imacs were reduced today. Don't know about laptops.

Why keep expecting blu-ray when Apple says repeatedly that they don't embrace the technology and won't support it. If you want blu-ray on a mac you can get it thru third party vendors.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
In before Tokyo Slim.

I see and hear all.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apple's stance on some things is totally ******* marsupialed. Are they seriously boycotting blu-ray?
facepalm.gif

As if their spat with Adobe wasn't enough... Oh, and this just in, if you want to develop for the iphone/ipad, you HAVE to use their tools.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** that, I'm boycotting blue ray.

spend all this time buying up DVDs and now I have to replace them at double the price?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads