• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New m4/3 Camera - Panasonic GF1

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
announceddddddddddddd

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09...gf1preview.asp

i was expecting some sort of robotic girlfriend prototype.
confused.gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was hoping hints of the pricetag were wrong- alas. Still- looks like a great camera. Which of the two would be your preferred lens kit?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How much smaller is it than the G1?

ClaretandBlue

Reaction score
Hrm, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess if you really want portability but retain the option of having *some* interchangeable lenses, it's a good deal. Personally, I'd pick up a used Canon 20D for $250 for the SLR, and probably a Leica D-LUX 4 for portability.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
How much smaller is it than the G1?

As you see in the pics below, and as described by DP, it's about the same, minus the viewfinder hump and the grip. Miraculous that they crammed a flash in there.

milosh

Reaction score
I think it also lacks in body stabilisation which makes it slimmer.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's a neat camera and I think I would like the single click dial better than the E-P1's spinny wheel that has five other buttons mounted on it
frown.gif

However the E-P1's stabilization is pretty impressive.

There's also a 14mm 2.8 on the way and the 20mm 1.7 will be a nice, fast pancake lens in a reasonable focal length.

As for the earlier poster who mentioned interchangeable lenses, to be honest I could could live without that ability. It's just great to have an excellent sensor coupled with manual controls and a fast, wide-ish fixed focal length lens. If they made a Ricoh GR with a big sensor then I'd just take that and be done with it.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20mm 1.7 is pretty quick and the reason why I want it more than the EP-1 now. Let's see what Leica shows on the 9th.

aizan

Reaction score
the only thing we don't know about the leica m9 and x1 is how much they'll cost and when they'll start shipping.

videocrew

Reaction score
I think I'd MUCH rather have the GF1 over the X1. The pancake lens on the GF1 looks AMAZING, but you also have the option to swap it out for anything M4/3, 4/3, M-mount or R-mount

japanese

Reaction score
Hello

I'm Japanese and live in USA. I'm planning to buy GF1 from Japan.
Because I can buy in many deterrent colors (white, Red and black) and cheaper than USA.

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000055861/

100 yen is about 1 dollar

However any Panasonic cameras that sold in japan doesn't support multi-language mode.

I wonder if I can update the Japanese firmware to English or multi-language version.
If some one could figure out this issues, I'm grad to help you to buy one from Japan as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads