• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Louis Vuitton Ad Featuring PHARRELL!!!

metaphysician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I guess LV rather be associated with diamond wearing (diamonds DO NOT belong on men), "˜playas' than Leopold Stokowski.

Jon.

Stokowski was associated with LV? That's interesting to know.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
besides in 2006, the brand is all about excess and nouveau-riche (a far departure from its origins, but then most brands have re-tooled their image over time) so that ad will probably hit its demographic perfectly.

Kamala

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaliStyle
1.) how are they 'debassing' themselves choosing Pharrell as the spokesmodel?

he has NEVER been associated with the 'rapper' image , how ignorant of you to even refer to Pharrell as a rapper. not every young black male in the industry is a rapper you fool.
Pharrell is a music producer, and he has always been a trend setter and is always on the edge of fashion. he is an immaculate dresser.

take a look for yourelf:

Pharrell & Mariah:

Pharrell's own video:

i think you are just intimidated/threatened by the fact that LV chose a young black man as their spokeswoman while your still broke and miserable
------------->

I couldn't have said it better myself. Pharrell, Kanye, Ozwald Boateng, etc, it seems that any Black man that gets attention for his fashion sense is unfairly criticized on this board while men who are wearing the same bland clothing are praised. I have no problem with traditional suits, but spice it up a little, add some color. The first day I went to court, my boss looked at my clothiing all day. I wore was a Purple Label Navy Gingham print shirt, navy Hickey suit, brown cap toe Ballys, and a red pin dot tie (navy blue dots). Frankly, I'm use to white men checking out my clothes everyday and not saying nothing. If it looks good to you give a compliment! Like it or not, Black men definitely are fashion conscious and many do not dress in the "coonish, zoot suit wearing, 4 or more button suits" stereotypical way many on this board would like to see us.

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Rap is a subsection of hip-hop -- they are not different styles of music. I've heard some people use the terms to distinguish rap into two groups, rap for mainstream/commercial rap and hip-hop for conscious/underground rap, but this is inaccurate.

I'm not saying one is more commercial than the other. It is simplistic to say that Eminem's rap is simply a derivative of hip hop, such as that embodied by Jurassic 5, The Roots, etc. When rap first came onto the scene, I could understand this argument, but these two musics are not as closely intertwined anymore.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexpham
It may not be your style, but crap? I don't think so. It's his own style and his own image that he has to project as a famous musician. He has to be a little different, a little over the top because that's just the type of business he's in. You wouldn't wear a crazy Balenciaga outfit to be an investment banker just as how you wouldn't wear a navy suit with white shirt and red tie with US flag lapel pin to be a rapper.

"˜Famous' ? That's a very relative term no? Only politicians wear that look, not investment bankers, thus I fail to see your point.

Jon.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I think there is an untapped market for Republican hip hop.
Puttin' caps in al-Zarqawi Reppin' hard for the G-O-P

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that Pharrell looks great in more than half of the outfits posted in this thread, faring much better (in my book) than most of the other performers seen on MTV (hip hop or not) .. He actually has more style than Kanye IMO. Kanye's outfits often exudes a feeling that he has attained such a god-like status that he can afford tacky eccentricities (e.g. the Michael Jackson glove... ugh) which sometimes pushes his style over the edge and makes him look just silly.

Overall, from Farnsworth Bentley to Jay-Z's boardroom style, to the re-interpretation of preppy by Kanye and PW, to the natural elegance of Common, I think hip hop has managed to break the mould of the street gang/state prison look that it had fallen into since NWA redefined rap as the voice of gangstas. A very good thing in my opinion

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kamala
I couldn't have said it better myself. Pharrell, Kanye, Ozwald Boateng, etc, it seems that any Black man that gets attention for his fashion sense is unfairly criticized on this board while men who are wearing the same bland clothing are praised. I have no problem with traditional suits, but spice it up a little, add some color.

Ding Ding Ding! You made a stunning observation.

The main forum focuses on traditional styles of dress, so it should be no surprise that a beautiful, gray worsted three piece with a powder blue shirt is going to receive more praise than an LV advertisement featuring Pharrell decked out in gold and fur. Lumping Pharrell, Kanye, and OB into the same group is a poor generalization--Kanye is an ass without much fashion sense other than what stylists provide, Pharrell does the media-star/playboy look well, and OB caught a lot of flack in the past for his (loose) association with Savile Row. Richard James has provoked similar ire for his Slovakian made garments and "Savile Row" label, but I guess no one threw a fit because he isn't black.

I have no problem with traditional suits, but spice it up a little, add some color. The first day I went to court...
I'm guessing you're (another) lawyer. I always thought an appropriate legal dress should be as unobtrusive as possible, especially if a jury is involved.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
I'm not saying one is more commercial than the other. It is simplistic to say that Eminem's rap is simply a derivative of hip hop, such as that embodied by Jurassic 5, The Roots, etc. When rap first came onto the scene, I could understand this argument, but these two musics are not as closely intertwined anymore.

Even if you were to argue that gangsta rap and more traditional rap were both different genres, it's still inaccurate to use the terms rap and hip-hop to differentiate the two, because it's still correct to call groups like J5 rap groups. Remember Concrete Schoolyard, the J5 anthem?

We take it back to the concrete streets
Original beats with real live MCs
Playground tactics, no rabbit-in-the-hat tricks,
Just that classic rap **** from Jurassic

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaliStyle
1.) how are they 'debassing' themselves choosing Pharrell as the spokesmodel?

he has NEVER been associated with the 'rapper' image , how ignorant of you to even refer to Pharrell as a rapper. not every young black male in the industry is a rapper you fool.
Pharrell is a music producer, and he has always been a trend setter and is always on the edge of fashion. he is an immaculate dresser.

take a look for yourelf:

Pharrell & Mariah:

Pharrell's own video:

i think you are just intimidated/threatened by the fact that LV chose a young black man as their spokeswoman while your still broke and miserable
------------->

Shut up. Seriously. Pharell is a great producer who is branching out, I know. However, look at that ****. Before the LV monogram didn't hand in hand with the dizzying thoughtless consumerism that this brand now represents. What is immactulate about a massive LV decal on that jacket, or a ring with LV all over it? Or about those leather gloves with an uncessarily large logo on it? I'm sorry, but Pharell is the more tasteful representation of an overly logo, brand conscious subculture. Louis Vuitton is now selling their logo in every conceivable way instead of concentrating on the quality and taste that got them there.

Even I know that he is known for dressing well. This particular ad is playing up the logo of the brand. If Pharell was dressed tastefully in this add instead of the well heeled gangster look he has with logos literally everywhere, I'd accept it. Louis Vuitton with generic models has done some very tasteful, beautiful ads for their clothes, with only a bag letting you know what it is. This particular ad is directed at the brand obsessed street culture. There are logos plastered everywhere. Disgusting... it's worse than a Nike ad.

"i think you are just intimidated/threatened by the fact that LV chose a young black man as their spokeswoman while your still broke and miserable "

First of all, I am very happy, and I could probably buy you. If Pharell had dressed well without the logos plastered everywhere, I'd buy it. Those Millionaire Sunglasses were GOD awful. I'm sorry.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't have said it better myself. Pharrell, Kanye, Ozwald Boateng, etc, it seems that any Black man that gets attention for his fashion sense is unfairly criticized on this board while men who are wearing the same bland clothing are praised. I have no problem with traditional suits, but spice it up a little, add some color. The first day I went to court, my boss looked at my clothiing all day. I wore was a Purple Label Navy Gingham print shirt, navy Hickey suit, brown cap toe Ballys, and a red pin dot tie (navy blue dots). Frankly, I'm use to white men checking out my clothes everyday and not saying nothing. If it looks good to you give a compliment! Like it or not, Black men definitely are fashion conscious and many do not dress in the "coonish, zoot suit wearing, 4 or more button suits" stereotypical way many on this board would like to see us.
Give me a ******* break, man. Complete utter bollocks. You wear tasteless crap, you will be chewed up on this board. Does not matter what colour you are. And I am fine with it. If I wanted to see gauche, well, that is everywhere. And to reiterate: Mory (check the Sartorialist's blog) dresses tastefully and cleverly even if he breaks many "rules". And surprise surprise, he is black! But look at this clown. Gaucheness & tastelessness makes you the same as every other cretin that has more money than sense.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
skalogre,

I completely agree. Someone posted a lot of pictures of Pharell dressing impeccably. There's a lot there that I'd love to do for myself. However, this particular ad simply is not playing off of that. I'm talking to a friend who is telling me that LV is simply catering to the current trend of hip hop culture, like how Slimane and even Jacobs drew inspiration from grunge... but to me, this is too much of a philosophical crossroads. The grunge attitude to me, at least expressed an ideal that has some artistic merit (however ironic given that Cobain would never have paid $400 for a black-meth-addict-tight shirt). This philosophy seems to be purely about look how much money I can spend per square inch...

Kamala

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Give me a ******* break, man. Complete utter bollocks. You wear tasteless crap, you will be chewed up on this board. Does not matter what colour you are. And I am fine with it. If I wanted to see gauche, well, that is everywhere.

And to reiterate: Mory (check the Sartorialist's blog) dresses tastefully and cleverly even if he breaks many "rules". And surprise surprise, he is black! But look at this clown. Gaucheness & tastelessness makes you the same as every other cretin that has more money than sense.

Yeah, Mory is very nice. But to say that Pharrell is tasteless is outrageous. If anything Pharrell is versatile. He melds many clothing styles into one making his own style. My post earlier was in regards to the many posters who seem to think that all Black men dress in a tasteless manner. Don't try to act like many of the posters on this board don't have a stereotypical view of the dress of Black men. And if you can't see it, I feel for you.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Mory is very nice. But to say that Pharrell is tasteless is outrageous. If anything Pharrell is versatile. He melds many clothing styles into one making his own style. My post earlier was in regards to the many posters who seem to think that all Black men dress in a tasteless manner. Don't try to act like many of the posters on this board don't have a stereotypical view of the dress of Black men. And if you can't see it, I feel for you.
That is plain ludicrous. EVERYONE is fair game. You seem to have confused styleforum with fashionforum. There is a difference between loading yourself with jewellery & logos and dressing tastefully. Almost ALL the photographs you posted are the former. The whole raison d'etre of THIS forum is style not following fashion. While fashion-forward elements may get incorporated in to what people like and wear, this is NOT GQForum or whatever. Plus I am not even American, I do not share the same biases and views as you and others on the forum do so you cannot use such rubbish. "Haterz" style rubbish will get you nowhere in getting people to agree with your opinions. This is not some sort of gamerz or whatever forum where the extent of debate usually degenerates to name calling and proclaiming that people who disagree with you are haterz, racists, bashers, et.c. Stelios

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics