1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New Louis Vuitton Ad Featuring PHARRELL!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CaliStyle, Jun 25, 2006.

1. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

I agree with you mostly, but this line doesn't make any sense.

But there's nothing surprising about this ad. It meshes perfectly with the kind of label LV has become recently. I don't think anybody on this board is terribly attached to LV anyway.

What doesn't make sense? N.E.R.D.? The difference between rap and hip hop?

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

After looking at those pictures I can only say this: He dresses like fucking crap. And all those tattoos don't help. You know from a company that charges that much from its wears, you think they could get a better spokesman. I guess LV rather be associated with diamond wearing (diamonds DO NOT belong on men), "˜playas' than Leopold Stokowski.

Jon.

3. Flame

Flame Senior member

CaliStyle, you are inviting negative feelings by posting clothes that are not considered tasteful or appeal to the population on this board. Personally I think Pharrell dresses like a model for a trendy prep brand. Not something most of us here look to for fashion ideas. Also tacky logos everywhere do not equal "immaculate" dressing. what does "true fashionistas aren't clouded by jealousy" mean? You either like a distinct style or hate it, so people aren't entitled to their own opinions? I find it commonplace how people who are into popular hiphop/rap cry jealousy and racism whenever they are faced with criticism.

4. alexpham

alexpham Well-Known Member

After looking at those pictures I can only say this: He dresses like fucking crap.

It may not be your style, but crap? I don't think so. It's his own style and his own image that he has to project as a famous musician. He has to be a little different, a little over the top because that's just the type of business he's in. You wouldn't wear a crazy Balenciaga outfit to be an investment banker just as how you wouldn't wear a navy suit with white shirt and red tie with US flag lapel pin to be a rapper.

5. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

just as how you wouldn't wear a navy suit with white shirt and red tie with US flag lapel pin to be a rapper.
    I think there is an untapped market for Republican hip hop.

6. dusty

dusty Senior member

What doesn't make sense? N.E.R.D.? The difference between rap and hip hop?

Rap is a subsection of hip-hop -- they are not different styles of music. I've heard some people use the terms to distinguish rap into two groups, rap for mainstream/commercial rap and hip-hop for conscious/underground rap, but this is inaccurate.

7. Kent Wang

I'm with Dusty. Many different groups have attempted to divide rap from hip hop with each group attempting to describe themselves as hip hop and all others as inferior rap. Due to the lack of consensus in these attempts the distinction between the two remains meaningless.

8. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

You think Pharrell looks good in white and jewelry?!

9. dusty

dusty Senior member

I'm with Dusty. Many different groups have attempted to divide rap from hip hop with each group attempting to describe themselves as hip hop and all others as inferior rap. Due to the lack of consensus in these attempts the distinction between the two remains meaningless.

Well there's that, but my primary reasoning is that the original usage of 'hip-hop,' a term for a cultural movement, is still relevant. Rap is obviously the most visible element of that movement.

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I own 3 pieces of Louis Vuitton... I'm getting rid of all of it...

wow, that is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while on here. I'm assuming at one point you must have liked it otherwise you wouldnt have 3 pieces. So now that there's a new ad featuring Pharrell that you deem unlikeable you're going to get rid of your LV? hahaha, sorry but that's pretty lame. If you can't see why then, oh well...

11. metaphysician

metaphysician Senior member

I guess LV rather be associated with diamond wearing (diamonds DO NOT belong on men), "˜playas' than Leopold Stokowski.

Jon.

Stokowski was associated with LV? That's interesting to know.

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

besides in 2006, the brand is all about excess and nouveau-riche (a far departure from its origins, but then most brands have re-tooled their image over time) so that ad will probably hit its demographic perfectly.

13. Kamala

Kamala Well-Known Member

1.) how are they 'debassing' themselves choosing Pharrell as the spokesmodel?

he has NEVER been associated with the 'rapper' image , how ignorant of you to even refer to Pharrell as a rapper. not every young black male in the industry is a rapper you fool.
    Pharrell is a music producer, and he has always been a trend setter and is always on the edge of fashion. he is an immaculate dresser.

take a look for yourelf:

Pharrell & Mariah:

Pharrell's own video:

i think you are just intimidated/threatened by the fact that LV chose a young black man as their spokeswoman while your still broke and miserable
    ------------->

I couldn't have said it better myself. Pharrell, Kanye, Ozwald Boateng, etc, it seems that any Black man that gets attention for his fashion sense is unfairly criticized on this board while men who are wearing the same bland clothing are praised. I have no problem with traditional suits, but spice it up a little, add some color. The first day I went to court, my boss looked at my clothiing all day. I wore was a Purple Label Navy Gingham print shirt, navy Hickey suit, brown cap toe Ballys, and a red pin dot tie (navy blue dots). Frankly, I'm use to white men checking out my clothes everyday and not saying nothing. If it looks good to you give a compliment! Like it or not, Black men definitely are fashion conscious and many do not dress in the "coonish, zoot suit wearing, 4 or more button suits" stereotypical way many on this board would like to see us.

14. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

Rap is a subsection of hip-hop -- they are not different styles of music. I've heard some people use the terms to distinguish rap into two groups, rap for mainstream/commercial rap and hip-hop for conscious/underground rap, but this is inaccurate.

I'm not saying one is more commercial than the other. It is simplistic to say that Eminem's rap is simply a derivative of hip hop, such as that embodied by Jurassic 5, The Roots, etc. When rap first came onto the scene, I could understand this argument, but these two musics are not as closely intertwined anymore.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Stokowski was associated with LV? That's interesting to know.

They designed a steamer trunk for him that turned into a desk and that model still bears his name in the LV catalogue.

Jon.

16. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

It may not be your style, but crap? I don't think so. It's his own style and his own image that he has to project as a famous musician. He has to be a little different, a little over the top because that's just the type of business he's in. You wouldn't wear a crazy Balenciaga outfit to be an investment banker just as how you wouldn't wear a navy suit with white shirt and red tie with US flag lapel pin to be a rapper.

"˜Famous' ? That's a very relative term no? Only politicians wear that look, not investment bankers, thus I fail to see your point.

Jon.

17. Kent Wang

I think there is an untapped market for Republican hip hop.
    Puttin' caps in al-Zarqawi Reppin' hard for the G-O-P

18. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think that Pharrell looks great in more than half of the outfits posted in this thread, faring much better (in my book) than most of the other performers seen on MTV (hip hop or not) .. He actually has more style than Kanye IMO. Kanye's outfits often exudes a feeling that he has attained such a god-like status that he can afford tacky eccentricities (e.g. the Michael Jackson glove... ugh) which sometimes pushes his style over the edge and makes him look just silly.

Overall, from Farnsworth Bentley to Jay-Z's boardroom style, to the re-interpretation of preppy by Kanye and PW, to the natural elegance of Common, I think hip hop has managed to break the mould of the street gang/state prison look that it had fallen into since NWA redefined rap as the voice of gangstas. A very good thing in my opinion

19. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I couldn't have said it better myself. Pharrell, Kanye, Ozwald Boateng, etc, it seems that any Black man that gets attention for his fashion sense is unfairly criticized on this board while men who are wearing the same bland clothing are praised. I have no problem with traditional suits, but spice it up a little, add some color.

Ding Ding Ding! You made a stunning observation.

The main forum focuses on traditional styles of dress, so it should be no surprise that a beautiful, gray worsted three piece with a powder blue shirt is going to receive more praise than an LV advertisement featuring Pharrell decked out in gold and fur. Lumping Pharrell, Kanye, and OB into the same group is a poor generalization--Kanye is an ass without much fashion sense other than what stylists provide, Pharrell does the media-star/playboy look well, and OB caught a lot of flack in the past for his (loose) association with Savile Row. Richard James has provoked similar ire for his Slovakian made garments and "Savile Row" label, but I guess no one threw a fit because he isn't black.

I'm guessing you're (another) lawyer. I always thought an appropriate legal dress should be as unobtrusive as possible, especially if a jury is involved.

20. dusty

dusty Senior member

I'm not saying one is more commercial than the other. It is simplistic to say that Eminem's rap is simply a derivative of hip hop, such as that embodied by Jurassic 5, The Roots, etc. When rap first came onto the scene, I could understand this argument, but these two musics are not as closely intertwined anymore.

Even if you were to argue that gangsta rap and more traditional rap were both different genres, it's still inaccurate to use the terms rap and hip-hop to differentiate the two, because it's still correct to call groups like J5 rap groups. Remember Concrete Schoolyard, the J5 anthem?

We take it back to the concrete streets
    Original beats with real live MCs
    Playground tactics, no rabbit-in-the-hat tricks,
    Just that classic rap shit from Jurassic