• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Lotus Elises

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
Grat analogy considering the lotus is not bespoke and has a toyota celica motor. You see the irony don't you?

Yes. It is a grat [sic] analogy considering that Brioni, Kiton, and Oxxford are not bespoke manufacturers. So, I do see a certain (but completely different) irony in your remark.

Whatever, have your lotus love fest and I will be the guy who clearly doesn't know a thing about cars.

No love fest here. If that were so, I would drive nothing else. The cars are built for a purpose and they generally do that quite well. It seems you've elected to ignore that with answers that go off the topic of driving a new Elise.

It is not that you know nothing about cars. Clearly you do know something. However, your remarks closely resemble those often made by the type of fellow the late Bob Challman (Western U.S. distributor for Lotus Cars in the early 1960s) wrote about in his multi-year advertising campaign, The Good Life, for Lotus: "If you like fried hamburgers and fly-speck water glasses, you will neither like nor understand the Lotus [Elise]. The [Elise] is a quiet and quick car for people who enjoy efficient performance not gained by . . ." I suppose that if you understand the new Elise, you might like it.

But would you care to comment on why Lotus themselves wanted the KA series motor instead of a celica motor? You don't think they settled do you? Why would they want a car with a more linear power curve instead of a peaky power curve?

You stated in your earlier remarks that you have not driven a new Elise. Until you have the opportunity to drive one of the six-speed 220 h.p supercharged cars, I fear your remarks lack any true horsepower of their own.

As for the selection of a Toyota engine over a Honda engine. Lotus have long standing relations with both companies. Toyota once owned a controlling interest in Lotus. Honda supplied fierce turbocharged V-6 engines for the late-1980s race-winning Lotus Formula One effort.

Lotus latest owners and several board of directors members are Indonesian. Knowing that Honda is Japanese, read into my words what you will. Early on, Honda put certain financial, marketing, and engineering requirements into the negotiations that the Lotus board of directors simply refused to consider. The Honda engine was merely a potential ideal that never got off the drawing board. Although Toyota is Japanese, they were more pragmatic in dealing with Lotus.

It is simple business. It is all about money. Much as you do, Lotus has a budget on each project. Much as you seem to be willing to do in your personal engineering projects, even Lotus is sometimes willing to compromise if the results are "close enough" to the desired target.

Finally, stick with what you know. Start a thread about modified cars. The J.C. Whitney Company made a fortune at one time selling to gents like you. That thread would be the ideal place to claim a well-modified sow's ear is superior to a silk purse. Starting your own threads will surely stifle most Cruiser-like comparisons. I actually think such a thread would be interesting, well-subscribed, and potentially long-lived. Go ahead!

Do a little thread about building your 914-6. The 914-6 is an interesting car. A friend of mine owns one of the ex-Richie Ginther SCCA C Production campaigned 914-6s. Only in America were the cars marketed as a Porsche. The rest of the world knew them and the four cylinder 914 as VW-Porsche.

___

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Only in America were the cars marketed as a Porsche. The rest of the world knew them and the four cylinder 914 as VW-Porsche.
___

A 911 is just a Beetle with locknuts.
smile.gif

I generally agree with your comments on the Elise. True, it does not possess 1000HP or hundreds of foot-lbs of torque, but to assess cars, especially one so purpose-built like the Elise, by such gross specs alone does the car and the craft of driving no justice. Having a big engine kick you in your butt and ricing out your Honda can be fun, but there are lots of other ways to have fun driving a car.

--Andre

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
A 911 is just a Beetle with locknuts.
smile.gif

--Andre

Such as this?
VW-Porsche001.jpg

VW-Porsche002.jpg

Apologies to all readers for my momentary and hypocritical lapse.
devil.gif

Originally Posted by A Y
I generally agree with your comments on the Elise. True, it does not possess 1000HP or hundreds of foot-lbs of torque, but to assess cars, especially one so purpose-built like the Elise, by such gross specs alone does the car and the craft of driving no justice. Having a big engine kick you in your butt and ricing out your Honda can be fun, but there are lots of other ways to have fun driving a car.

--Andre

Are you directing some or all of this to me? I am not sure how you inferred any "lack-of-horsepower" (regarding the Elise, not turboman's remarks) theme in my comments.

__

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know nothing about cars compared to the heavy hitters here like Full Canvas but I have sat in an Elise and I have to say that it is one of the ugliest, most uncomfortable cars I have ever seen. reminds me of a tricked out Celica, minus the luxury. I know it is a "purpose built" car but I just don't get it.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I presume to drive it is to get it. I haven't driven one.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
it is one of the ugliest, most uncomfortable cars I have ever seen[sat in].

I agree. It's beauty is not on any visible surface. If you find any beauty whatsover in a car of this type, it is likely your own large and beautiful grin as you go through a turn faster than you imagined possible with the greatest of ease. You think the car though a turn.

In the 1960s, the Lotus Elan was described by one writer in CAR Magazine as the "rich man's dodgem car". You could aptly say the same thing about today's Elise. Sadly, many people buy them with the mistaken belief that they are something else. It is the rare exception that uses one of these cars as a daily driver for any extended time period.

The car is best enjoyed on an otherwise quiet morning while driving on an empty country road. It's a seat of the pants sensation like no other. Comparing it to touring cars or muscles cars or luxury cars of any sort is a futile exercise.

___

turboman808

Reaction score
You can save the JC Whittney comments for the rednecks and ricers.

Certainly not posting a 914-6 build thread. Cars almost done and will be glad to post my VWs finished pictures.

For the record the 914 was marketed as a VW. The 914-6 was marketed by Porsche. Porsche even took the 914-6 to Le Mans and won it's class. Sows ear has at least some sort of pedigree. And of course enough SCCA solo and road course wins to fill a house.

Since you enjoy SCCA did you happen to watch the Nationals the last 2 years? How about that Elise in T2? I forget did it win or lose? Mind posting the winner for me? thanks!

turboman808

Reaction score
I know nothing about cars compared to the heavy hitters here like Full Canvas but I have sat in an Elise and I have to say that it is one of the ugliest, most uncomfortable cars I have ever seen. reminds me of a tricked out Celica, minus the luxury. I know it is a "purpose built" car but I just don't get it.

It's a race car. A super reliable race car. Not built for luxury. I don't get the guys who buy the elise or exige and add luxury items.

I like the seating position in the elise. You really feel in control of it.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Are you directing some or all of this to me? I am not sure how you inferred any "lack-of-horsepower" (regarding the Elise, not turboman's remarks) theme in my comments.

I was agreeing with you. My comments were directed at turboman808's worry of riced-out Civics beating him on the highway.

I know it is a "purpose built" car but I just don't get it.

Don't worry about it --- it's not a car for everyone. The Elise takes some amount of driving skill to appreciate.

--Andre

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can save the JC Whittney comments for the rednecks and ricers.

If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it. I take you have a low opinion of rednecks and ricers. Is that because you are the proud owner of a 914-6? I've owned a couple of Porsches over the years and I was quite a proud owner. I am acquainted with both rednecks and ricers that happen to be great automotive engineers. Maybe you are really just implying that the J.C. Whitney catalogue has never offered anything of worth?

Certainly not posting a 914-6 build thread. Cars almost done and will be glad to post my VWs finished pictures.

Pity, a build thread would be fun. I actually like the 914-6.

For the record the 914 was marketed as a VW. The 914-6 was marketed by Porsche.

In both America and Europe, the 914 and the 914-6 were sold through the Porsche dealership network. In America, the cars were badged and marketed as Porsche. In Europe and the rest of the world, the cars were badged and marketed as VW-Porsche.

Porsche even took the 914-6 to Le Mans and won it's class. Sows ear has at least some sort of pedigree. And of course enough SCCA solo and road course wins to fill a house.

You continue to imply that the 914-6 is a superior car. We all understand that you are smitten with the 914-6. I salute the great competition record garnered by all Porsches over the years. The Le Mans class winning 914-6 was certainly no sow's ear. My remark in a prior post was aimed at sow's ear cars modified willy-nilly with no true plan. A silk purse car is one that leaves the factory doing what the purchaser expects. Don't take things so personally, unless the shoe fits.

What you don't seem to comprehend is that the thread was started to solicit opinions about the new Elise. How did you understand the original poster's remarks to mean you were invited to tell the readers why the 914-6 (as modified by you) is a superior car? It may well be superior for you, but that is not the point of the thread.

Since you enjoy SCCA did you happen to watch the Nationals the last 2 years? How about that Elise in T2? I forget did it win or lose? Mind posting the winner for me? thanks!

No, I don't particularly enjoy SCCA racing these days. I haven't seen an SCCA race in more than twenty-five years.

I feel I can safely assume from your questions that the Elise didn't fare well at the Nationals. The last time a customer Lotus did anything decent was when Doc Bundy drove the Esprit X180R in the World Cup in the early1990s. It's funny that for more than fifty years Lotus owners have pretty much been left to fend for themselves on the racetrack. Porsche owners are truly fortunate to enjoy great customer support. You are both wise and lucky to have chosen Porsche as your car.

Why you continue to bring all the extraneous topics to this thread must be a source of amusement to some. I like Porsches and have nothing against them. If you change your mind and offer a Porsche thread of any kind to the forum, I promise to participate as soon as I notice it and I will stay on topic.

___

CodeRed

Reaction score
I have had both a NA lotus elise and the SC version, I love them both for the best steering available and the true "gocartness" feeling that they provide. Great track cars if you learn how to really keep the momentum, actually more fun than the GT2/3's that I have had as you can't count on HP to go fast. They make for poor street cars, but they were designed as very singular purpose. I still find them very overpriced for what they are, but I still cherish that feeling. Great toys that are hard to replicate. SC is more DD.

turboman808

Reaction score
I am not implying the 914 is superior. No one bothered to ask me what I don't like about it. Just stating my reason for buying one over the other. Mainly being I enjoyed being able to drive the car how I felt like driving at that moment. Elise dictates how you drive. I do get off topic sometimes.

Elise lost 2 years in a row to the solstice GXP. I filmed the racing for GM in 2007. Got to know Don Knowles and John Heinricy. (which might be why I bought this car as well) :p

Going back to the seating position no one looks cool getting out of any of these small cars. For that reason alone I don't think any of them are great daily drivers. How much of an ass do you look like trying to climb over the roll bar in a sports coat and slacks.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nobody looks cool stepping out of a Solstice

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saying the Lotus is slow compared to a 1000 HP car is a stupid comparison. Keep that crap for yourself, I dealt with enough marsupials that say crap like this at the track. Meanwhile the guy with dragster that runs 6's would say the same about the 8 second Camaro.

I had a car that ran 12 flat on street tires so the Lotus is slow compared to that, doesn't mean I'm going to spout off something stupid like that because I still have respect for the Lotus. I can appreciate the car for what it is and can make reasonable comparisons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads