1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New & Lingwood ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by literasyme, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Yes, they are ugly as sin.
    Well, I am the Devil, after all [​IMG]

2. Film Noir Buff

I've occasionally seen the newscaster Mark Austin on news at Ten wearing Duchamp ties. John Sargent's another as are John Snow and David Dimbleby who chairs Question Time. They seem quite popular with those who work in media. This is Dimbleby Not sure if this is actually a Duchamp, but you get the picture. [​IMG] edit: Joshman beat me to it:
    Jon Snow also wears Victoria Richards ties which are hawt: Beautiful ties

3. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

I don't know about that, but you're certainly at the ready to deposit your droppings in any thread that catches your attention. How did this become about the ugliness of Duchamp ties and the supposed complexes of people who don't like them?

4. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

You mean this guy?

[​IMG]

5. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Before the credit crunch anyone who's anyone in London, certainly from Tony Blair to hedge fund guys to regional news presenters, wore Duchamp ties as an in thing.
    The same can be said of Hermes ties and New York City. In both cases, the ties are hideous. When "anyone who's anyone" wears a particular thing, it's usually because they are desperate to suggest they are someone.

6. George

George Senior member

Jon Snow also wears Victoria Richards ties which are hawt:

Beautiful ties

Mark Austin is interesting because he tends to wear them under a chalkstripe. Brilliant.

7. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

I don't know that that's true in the case of Duchamp in England. Hermes is different. Loud ties and red socks go sort of hand in hand. I see them as the long-term effects of a youth spent in school uniforms.

8. joshman

joshman Senior member

I've occasionally seen the newscaster Mark Austin on news at Ten wearing Duchamp ties. John Sargent's another as are John Snow and David Dimbleby who chairs Question Time. They seem quite popular with those who work in media.

This is Dimbleby Not sure if this is actually a Duchamp, but you get the picture.

[​IMG]

edit: Joshman beat me to it:

Well let me tell you one insider thing.
    Peter Mandelson always claims he's the first one who wore Duchamp. This is the story goes around Westminster.
    To be honest I sometimes find the colours too strong in real life but on tv they look real good.

9. George

George Senior member

Well let me tell you one insider thing.
    Peter Mandelson always claims he's the first one who wore Duchamp. This is the story goes around Westminster.
    To be honest I sometimes find the colours too strong in real life but on tv they look real good.

Peter Meddlesome would get where shit couldn't get. I hate Duchamp now....!!!

10. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

Jon Snow also wears Victoria Richards ties which are hawt: Beautiful ties
    This is wonderful:
    I wonder what the tie-equivalent of a snowflake might look like. Delicate? Unobtrusive? Intricately wrought? Something with a light touch? No. It's this: [​IMG] Seriously? I mean, you're free to like this sort of thing, but to claim some kind of special aesthetic place for it is a little benighted. It looks like it's made from a pair of velvet leggings, c. 1984.

11. George

George Senior member

I don't know that that's true in the case of Duchamp in England. Hermes is different. Loud ties and red socks go sort of hand in hand. I see them as the long-term effects of a youth spent in school uniforms.

That quite an astute observation. Are you British?

12. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

No, but I spent my undergraduate years and beyond there. And for the record, I like red socks.

13. George

George Senior member

No, but I spent my undergraduate years and beyond there. And for the record, I like red socks.

You have my deepest sympathies. Hope you've recovered.

14. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

Heh. Does one ever? Though I feel like the neuroses I acquired have a certain optional quality to them; they're certainly dormant while I'm here, but easily reactivated once I get off a place at Heathrow.

15. joshman

joshman Senior member

The same can be said of Hermes ties and New York City. In both cases, the ties are hideous. When "anyone who's anyone" wears a particular thing, it's usually because they are desperate to suggest they are someone.

foof, please do a quick search on Mark Austin, John Sargent, Jon Snow and David Dimbleby, as George mentioned. And also Tony Blair and Peter Mandelson in case you don't have a clue who these 2 are.

Those guys are big hitters. They ain't desperate to suggest they're someones like mafoofans or joshmans.

16. Film Noir Buff

You mean this guy? [​IMG]
    Yup, that's me...

17. Film Noir Buff

This is wonderful: I wonder what the tie-equivalent of a snowflake might look like. Delicate? Unobtrusive? Intricately wrought? Something with a light touch? No. It's this: [​IMG] Seriously? I mean, you're free to like this sort of thing, but to claim some kind of special aesthetic place for it is a little benighted. It looks like it's made from a pair of velvet leggings, c. 1984.
    My lips are sealed [​IMG]

18. comrade

comrade Senior member

Not really a problem. In fact, the very malleability of the N&L tie I was wearing today prompted the question:

[​IMG]

That's at the end of the afternoon, but the knot held a nicely defined dimple for most of the day.

I respect your tolerance, but to me your photo does not represent a dimple that has held
    for most of the day.

19. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

The simple answer is that you're mistaking tenses: I didn't say it had held, I said it did hold. By the time the photo was taken, slippage had occurred. In any case, I suspect I favour a less concrete-cast knot than some of my fellow SFers, and don't really care where the dimple falls as long as something's happening below the know, as it were.

20. RSS

RSS Senior member

Duchamp is very English.
    I bet some of the so-called senior members here would say they are ugly in the extreme.
    Because they have complexes but a lot of other members including many non posting readers love that sort of thing. And, many mainstream Americans love Duchamp ties.
    Yes, they are ugly as sin.
    ...the ties are hideous.
    Ah ... Style Forum ... amusingly predictable.

For the record this senior member is not a fan. Although he recoginzes how those who are less traditionally inclined might be.