1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New & Lingwood ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by literasyme, Jan 18, 2010.

1. literasyme

literasyme Senior Member

Anyone know who makes them? They're Italian, proudly announce their "Hand Made" status, and tie a really nice know. Wish I had more. Altea? (My N&L feel more substantial than my Alteas...)

2. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Distinguished Member

Anyone know who makes them? They're Italian, proudly announce their "Hand Made" status, and tie a really nice know. Wish I had more. Altea? (My N&L feel more substantial than my Alteas...)
    They are very substantial and make a good, rich knot. I dont know that a dimple with be simple to achieve.

3. FIHTies

FIHTies Distinguished Member

(My N&L feel more substantial than my Alteas...)
    The feeling more substantial is probably a product of the silk used for the tie as well as the interlining and it would generally not matter who does the construction.

4. braised

braised Senior Member

Michael Drake makes a lot of them for N&L. Veddy nice. Check out the smaller of the two shops at the bottom of the Picadilly Arcade in London.

5. RSS

RSS Stylish Dinosaur

I haven't a clue who makes N&L ties ... but I am a great fan of them.

6. literasyme

literasyme Senior Member

I dont know that a dimple with be simple to achieve.
    Not really a problem. In fact, the very malleability of the N&L tie I was wearing today prompted the question: [​IMG] That's at the end of the afternoon, but the knot held a nicely defined dimple for most of the day.

7. joshman

joshman Senior Member

They used to make good ties (maybe by Drakes). Can't say the same about their newer offerings. I might be wrong but I don't think they make their ties in England anymore.

8. Film Noir Buff

They used to make good ties (maybe by Drakes). Can't say the same about their newer offerings. I might be wrong but I don't think they make their ties in England anymore.
    The English dont seem to have that killer shop that sells a good variety of ties like Paul Stuart in the USA, or do they?

9. Bishop of Briggs

Bishop of Briggs Senior Member

The English dont seem to have that killer shop that sells a good variety of ties like Paul Stuart in the USA, or do they?
    Selfridges has the best selection - Drake's, Charvet and others.

10. joshman

joshman Senior Member

Selfridges has the best selection - Drake's, Charvet and others.

And Duchamp and Hermes. My two favourites. Although admittedly both aren't English.

11. Film Noir Buff

And Duchamp and Hermes. My two favourites. Although admittedly both aren't English.
    Duchamp is very English.

12. literasyme

literasyme Senior Member

Well, no. As I said in my OP, they're made in Italy. But I don't really see that as a demerit...

13. Macallan

Macallan Senior Member

Harrods

Brioni, Hermes, Charvet, Duchamp, Turnbull & Asser, etc and if you like designer ties, they have lots of them too. Although, do not know if they have Drake's.

14. joshman

joshman Senior Member

Duchamp is very English.

Designwise and colourwise, yes.
    I bet some of the so-called senior members here would say they are ugly in the extreme.

15. Film Noir Buff

Designwise and colourwise, yes. I bet some of the so-called senior members here would say they are ugly in the extreme.
    Most of the silks are woven in England Because they have complexes but a lot of other members including many non posting readers love that sort of thing. And, many mainstream Americans love Duchamp ties.