New & Lingwood Sale - Who Makes Their Ties?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roger, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Roger

Roger Senior member

The regular summer sale is now on at N & L. There are some good deals to be had--as just one example: Crockett & Jones shoes made to regular grade ("Benchgrade") standards on at 185 GBP or 153 ex VAT, so roughly $285. My question, however, has to do with their ties. Does anyone know who makes these for N & L? they have some very nice-looking grenadines in 5 or 6 colors, and all these silk ties are on sale for 30 GBP or 3 for 84 GBP, which I presume after removal of VAT would go for about $46 for one and $128 for 3. RJman, you probably know the origins of these ties; where are you?

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The regular summer sale is now on at N & L. There are some good deals to be had--as just one example: Crockett & Jones shoes made to regular grade ("Benchgrade") standards on at 185 GBP or 153 ex VAT, so roughly $285. My question, however, has to do with their ties. Does anyone know who makes these for N & L? they have some very nice-looking grenadines in 5 or 6 colors, and all these silk ties are on sale for 30 GBP or 3 for 84 GBP, which I presume after removal of VAT would go for about $46 for one and $128 for 3. RJman, you probably know the origins of these ties; where are you?

i don't know who makes them but I love their ties. They tie the most perfect knot IMO. I just picked up a few. Thanks for the heads up ! [​IMG]

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

4. Tibo

Tibo Senior member

i don't know who makes them but I love their ties. They tie the most perfect know IMO. I just picked up a few. Thanks for the heads up ! [​IMG]

Agree. I just listed them amongst my 5 favourite tie makers in a dedicated thread, but the online selection definitely lacks variety compared to what's available in Jermyn St.

5. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

Is it not Holliday and Brown? I feel like I heard that a long time ago, but this is purely trying to recall from memory, so I could be very wrong.

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I've not seen them, but it could very well be Charles Hill. Look for a small made in England tag sewn into the back blade seam and a very small 'CH' on it. Charles Hill makes (or at least made) for a number of different labels both in the UK and abroad.

7. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

8. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

. RJman, you probably know the origins of these ties; where are you?
    "He's not a tame lion!"
    -- CS Lewis, The Last Battle.

I doubt H&B makes any N&L ties; my impression is that the N&L regular line ties are not handmade anyway, although they seem nice enough. That is why (like H&K) they have a separate luxury tie line. In any event, Holliday & Brown appears to be dead; it's now being made in Italy. Probably it's being well made, but I think the Sittingbourne, Kent H&B factory is closed.

Udeshi would know more about who makes whose ties, althuough he may not necessarily be induced to say...