• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New & Lingwood - Loose Buttons

HoratioNelson

Reaction score
For the best part of 10 years now, I have owned - and continue to buy - a number of New & Lingwood (RTW) shirts.

I have noticed, especially in the last 2 years but probably longer, that the buttons on the gauntlet become come loose/fall off after even just one wash. I put it down to bad luck with one or two shirts, but after buying half a dozen a few months ago and experiencing the same on almost all of them, I don't think it's coincidence.

What's more is that none of my other shirts (T&A, H&K, H&H, G&H, EW to name a few...) have this problem, so I don't think it's my washing machine.

Has anyone else experienced this?

davesmith

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For some reason, I've been tempted to try some shirts from New & Lingwood recently. Perhaps, I should stay away!

Sorry I didn't help answer your question.

HoratioNelson

Reaction score
They are definitely worth a try.

My observations are:

- Lovely quality cloth.
- Collars can be slightly oddly shaped (and I'm not just talking about their extreme cutaways).
- I stand by what I said about the buttons on the gauntlet; I have seen it happening with even more shirts from them in the last month.
- Some of the single cuff casual shirts have quite loose/wide cuffs.
- Fair value, especially in the sales. £95 for off the shelf outside of the sales is a fair price, and they can be even better value in the sales I believe.
- Even tailored fit is slightly loose (compared with other manufacturers' tailored/slim fits, e.g. H&K, H&H, T&A)
- For some reason, their poplin double cuff tailored fits seem to come up about 0.5-1 inches smaller in the collar than their other shirts, especially after a wash or two. Quite odd.

All of that said, they are still one of my favourite shops on Jermyn St as they do much much more than shirts.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 99 34.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 88 30.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 33 11.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.4%