• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New & Lingwood - Loose Buttons

HoratioNelson

Reaction score
For the best part of 10 years now, I have owned - and continue to buy - a number of New & Lingwood (RTW) shirts.

I have noticed, especially in the last 2 years but probably longer, that the buttons on the gauntlet become come loose/fall off after even just one wash. I put it down to bad luck with one or two shirts, but after buying half a dozen a few months ago and experiencing the same on almost all of them, I don't think it's coincidence.

What's more is that none of my other shirts (T&A, H&K, H&H, G&H, EW to name a few...) have this problem, so I don't think it's my washing machine.

Has anyone else experienced this?

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For some reason, I've been tempted to try some shirts from New & Lingwood recently. Perhaps, I should stay away!

Sorry I didn't help answer your question.

HoratioNelson

Reaction score
They are definitely worth a try.

My observations are:

- Lovely quality cloth.
- Collars can be slightly oddly shaped (and I'm not just talking about their extreme cutaways).
- I stand by what I said about the buttons on the gauntlet; I have seen it happening with even more shirts from them in the last month.
- Some of the single cuff casual shirts have quite loose/wide cuffs.
- Fair value, especially in the sales. £95 for off the shelf outside of the sales is a fair price, and they can be even better value in the sales I believe.
- Even tailored fit is slightly loose (compared with other manufacturers' tailored/slim fits, e.g. H&K, H&H, T&A)
- For some reason, their poplin double cuff tailored fits seem to come up about 0.5-1 inches smaller in the collar than their other shirts, especially after a wash or two. Quite odd.

All of that said, they are still one of my favourite shops on Jermyn St as they do much much more than shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads