1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New & Lingwood Bespoke Cap-Toe Adelaide

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pejsek, Sep 26, 2006.

1. pejsek

pejsek Senior Member

This is an interesting shoe. It was made back in 1989 (which I believe may be the tail-end of the Cleverley era). Quite characteristic of the N&L look is the small slightly tapered heel. The leather is very soft, which gives rise to the crackling effect.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Thanks for sharing the pics! It's a handsome design. What are your thoughts on the crackling? Did you know the leather was going to be so soft as to do that?

3. pejsek

pejsek Senior Member

Well, these were not originally my shoes. Like so many of my things these came to me from the thrift store. The design is quite characteristically bespoke and I agree with you that they are handsome. The leather, though, is very peculiar--obviously high-quality and quite thick, but still extremely soft and supple. I think the crackling is a very distinguished effect (especially since the shoes come by it honestly; nothing like showing your age!).

4. rabbimark

rabbimark Well-Known Member

I suspect the slight upward angle on the heels is the result of the originals being replaced. I had a pair of Church's cap toes that originally had a very low heel (the consul model, if anyone remembers) and when they were re-heeled a few years later, the guy put too much into it, with the same result as here.

the upper looks like deerskin to me, with the striations. Not the heel piece or the toe cap, but the part in between. I am currently wearing a pair of Swiss made Ballys from 1991 that have an nearly identical design.

These are quite handsome, hopefully they fit you well!

5. pejsek

pejsek Senior Member

Yes, I think deerskin is a very good guess. Thanks for pointing that out, rabbimark. The heels are definitely the original ones, though. The pictures may not do them full justice, but they are quite expertly executed--small, shapely and very gently tapered. Many bespoke makers seem to single out the heel for a distinctly handmade treatment that sets it apart from rtw. I think that's what's going on here.

6. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

I've seen that heel configuration referred to as (a) a "pitched" heel and (b) a "cuban" heel. Some men think it looks a little effeminate (since many women's shoes have it), but it is fairly common on top-of-the-line bespoke shoes, and I really like it.

7. luk-cha

luk-cha Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

great shoes and a great find too - lucky sod!