• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New LH Website.

sellahi22

Reaction score
awesome. luca rubinacci is one of my top style icons

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well f*ck me. There's an eternity's worth of tepfodder right there.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
awesome. luca rubinacci is one of my top style icons

Oh boy...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The B&B looks nice. But, uhh, what a weird addition to the business. It seems odd to include it amongst all the clothing-related services.

Also, based on what I could gather from the Italian, they're going to start selling ready-to-wear through Harrod's. I'm a little shocked. I would have imagined Mariano to be disgusted with that place. Maybe Luca isn't.

DandySF

Reaction score
Mercy. Makes Chan's new site look positively genteel.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC_5532-Luca-Rubinacci-.-credit-endstart-photo-500x731.jpg

That is an interesting tie. I've never seen a knit like that!

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They probably want to become some kind of Kiton or Brioni -- more money and long-term security in that sort fo business. Eventually the true bespoke operation will die out, or become a quaint quirk for those who know the original Naples shop. Hey-ho, that's capitalism for ya.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I understand why they are going the mass market route - they've already tried it unsuccessfully in the late 90s. In order to keep quality high, LH only makes around 1,000 bespoke garments a year. Even if these are all dinner suits you can do the math, its not enough to sustain a "business". From what I can tell the bespoke operation is here to stay, more than half of the folks making the garments in Naples are under 40 years old and it remains the hallmark for Mariano.

The clothing being sold at Harrods will be marketed under either Luca or Luca Rubinacci brand. It will be made in Italy and from what I understand be "colorful" in nature. Suits, shirts, pants, and accessories will make up the line. I'm sure he is talking to other usual suspects about carrying the brand - Barney's, BG, Corso Como, Japanese dept stores, etc...

Let's hope he doesn't screw everything up.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
****, I was half expecting Harold Lloyd to walk in...

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that intro flash page
confused.gif

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I understand why they are going the mass market route - they've already tried it unsuccessfully in the late 90s. In order to keep quality high, LH only makes around 1,000 bespoke garments a year. Even if these are all dinner suits you can do the math, its not enough to sustain a "business". From what I can tell the bespoke operation is here to stay, more than half of the folks making the garments in Naples are under 40 years old and it remains the hallmark for Mariano. The clothing being sold at Harrods will be marketed under either Luca or Luca Rubinacci brand. It will be made in Italy and from what I understand be "colorful" in nature. Suits, shirts, pants, and accessories will make up the line. I'm sure he is talking to other usual suspects about carrying the brand - Barney's, BG, Corso Como, Japanese dept stores, etc... Let's hope he doesn't screw everything up.
I think they'll have to adopt this route as they won't survive just by being a bespoke tailoring operation alone. The problem I think isn't the quantity of customers, it's quantity of craftsmen able to produce enough product. They are finding themselves in exactly the same position that SR are. What they need to be careful of however, is that they don't turn into what the once venerable Gieves and Hawkes have become. It'll be interesting to watch.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I think they'll have to adopt this route as they won't survive just by being a bespoke tailoring operation alone.

The problem I think isn't the quantity of customers, it's quantity of craftsman able to produce enough product.

They are finding themselves in exactly the same position that SR are.

What they need to be careful of however, is that they don't turn into what the once venerable Gieves and Hawkes have become.

It'll be interesting to watch.

+1.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As much as SF'ers don't like bespoke brands branching out into RTW, it does make the most business sense. The only way Huntsman survived in the 70s and 80s was due to its Japanese concessions.

If they allow their RTW line to morph into a Brioni or Kiton type of operation, while maintaining the integrity of their core bespoke offering, Rubinacci would have done very well for itself.

That being said, I don't like the website. This is a very high-end operation, and their website should reflect that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads