• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New leather briefcase advice please

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Hello all,

It's time for me to get a new leather briefcase. My grandfather's (which he gave me when I started grad school) is fantastic, but falling apart on my fast. I'm looking to invest in something decent, that's going to last a long time and age well. I like the look of the saddleback leather ones, but they are currently out of my price-range. Does anyone have any recommendations for similar briefcases but at a lower price point? I seem to recall seeing on here once a company from the UK who produced nice leather briefcases for about 2/3 of the price of saddleback.

Thanks!

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Not sure about the price though, swaine adeney brigg.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chenzhongbi
Not sure about the price though, swaine adeney brigg.

If saddleback is too expensive for him SAB is definitely too expensive.

You miight be able to find a Tusting for cheaper than Saddleback.

GBer

Reaction score
Is he referring to Filson? Just save and get a SAB. It will outlast you.

ndw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GradSchooler
I'm looking to invest in something decent, that's going to last a long time and age well.

If you are looking for something that will "last a long time and age well" I would recommend using your grandfather's bag for a little longer while saving for the Saddleback bag (or something comparable) if that is what you really want. IMO you will be much happier in the long run if you wait a little longer and get what you really want, rather than compromising to have something asap. You'd probably end up buying the bag you really want in a few years anyway, so you might as well get the aging process started.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Floto Imports makes a decent relatively inexpensive bag that can hold you over until you can afford better.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, are you thinking of Henry Tomkins? His bags are very well-priced, particularly with the pound being as affordable as it currently is.

I have one of his briefcases and love it. Will definitely buy from him again.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
+1 on saving for something good (SAB being the best). If your grandfather's won't last that long, just get something cheap (probably canvas or nylon) to last you until then...you're in grad school, so no one will notice.

Annadale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGimpy
OP, are you thinking of Henry Tomkins? His bags are very well-priced, particularly with the pound being as affordable as it currently is.

I have one of his briefcases and love it. Will definitely buy from him again.

I have his double buckled satchel in brown, with dividers and additional front pocket. I am quite tall so Henry added a piece to the carrying strap. It has really handsome and tough leather, and is a joy to use. It is the one thing I own that continually reaps positive comments. When I return from SE Asia I will be ordering another in black. Can't wait.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 88 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 161 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 81 16.0%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 48 9.5%