• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New leather briefcase advice please

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Hello all,

It's time for me to get a new leather briefcase. My grandfather's (which he gave me when I started grad school) is fantastic, but falling apart on my fast. I'm looking to invest in something decent, that's going to last a long time and age well. I like the look of the saddleback leather ones, but they are currently out of my price-range. Does anyone have any recommendations for similar briefcases but at a lower price point? I seem to recall seeing on here once a company from the UK who produced nice leather briefcases for about 2/3 of the price of saddleback.

Thanks!

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Not sure about the price though, swaine adeney brigg.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chenzhongbi
Not sure about the price though, swaine adeney brigg.

If saddleback is too expensive for him SAB is definitely too expensive.

You miight be able to find a Tusting for cheaper than Saddleback.

GBer

Reaction score
Is he referring to Filson? Just save and get a SAB. It will outlast you.

ndw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GradSchooler
I'm looking to invest in something decent, that's going to last a long time and age well.

If you are looking for something that will "last a long time and age well" I would recommend using your grandfather's bag for a little longer while saving for the Saddleback bag (or something comparable) if that is what you really want. IMO you will be much happier in the long run if you wait a little longer and get what you really want, rather than compromising to have something asap. You'd probably end up buying the bag you really want in a few years anyway, so you might as well get the aging process started.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Floto Imports makes a decent relatively inexpensive bag that can hold you over until you can afford better.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, are you thinking of Henry Tomkins? His bags are very well-priced, particularly with the pound being as affordable as it currently is.

I have one of his briefcases and love it. Will definitely buy from him again.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
+1 on saving for something good (SAB being the best). If your grandfather's won't last that long, just get something cheap (probably canvas or nylon) to last you until then...you're in grad school, so no one will notice.

Annadale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGimpy
OP, are you thinking of Henry Tomkins? His bags are very well-priced, particularly with the pound being as affordable as it currently is.

I have one of his briefcases and love it. Will definitely buy from him again.

I have his double buckled satchel in brown, with dividers and additional front pocket. I am quite tall so Henry added a piece to the carrying strap. It has really handsome and tough leather, and is a joy to use. It is the one thing I own that continually reaps positive comments. When I return from SE Asia I will be ordering another in black. Can't wait.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads