• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New leather boots - care help needed!

qwerty-face

Reaction score
Hello!

I recently bought a pair of Kurt Geiger kerland boots. Well made up, loving them. The problem is, I have always worn canvas / skate shoes my whole life. As crazy as it sounds, ive never had to 'look after' leather shoes or boots.

Could someone give me a few pointers? They are a matt and aged type of finish so im assuming a tin of the old kiwi wax and a brush isnt what im after? Also, im likely to be buying a couple more pairs of leather footwear in the coming weeks so any care tips on suede and any other type of special finishes is greatly appreciated.

Oh, another stupid question - is rain likely to damage the boots in any way? Do you have to apply some kind of water protection before jumping in puddles? (ok, not jumping, but the pavements here catch you out from time to time.)

Cheers :)

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are low end boots featuring plastic or nylon soles with a rubber anti-slip insert. Jumping into your puddles is not going to be a problem with these soles.

For the uppers, use leather lotion once per 2 months sparingly on the leather.

Hand rub it into the leather, let dry 30 minutes, brush and buff with a soft flannel cloth. After each wearing, use a damp cloth (not wet) and wipe the dust off them, let sit 15 min, brush & buff.
You will never need to polish these boots, ever.
Do not wear them 2 days in a row. Let them rest at least 24 hours after each wearing. Use shoe trees to wick away the days moisture in them, and to maintain their original shape.

As for your future purchases, you may want to lurk and learn for awhile here and invest in better quality later. Welcome to Styleforum and enkoy your boots.

Last edited:

qwerty-face

Reaction score
Hey, leave my cheap boots alone! Haha
smile.gif

Thanks for the help and tips, it's appreciated. There's no doubting that im all set for spending a small fortune in the coming months - the whole wardrobe is being thrown and replaced. I didn't want to jump into a pair of hugely expensive boots straight off the bat, nor did I want to waste money on a pair at a third of the price from topman or similar. I really like how these look and feel, at least until im bitten to buy another pair of a similar style. Suede and blacks to buy first...

brokencycle

Reaction score

Hey, leave my cheap boots alone! Haha
smile.gif
Thanks for the help and tips, it's appreciated. There's no doubting that im all set for spending a small fortune in the coming months - the whole wardrobe is being thrown and replaced. I didn't want to jump into a pair of hugely expensive boots straight off the bat, nor did I want to waste money on a pair at a third of the price from topman or similar. I really like how these look and feel, at least until im bitten to buy another pair of a similar style. Suede and blacks to buy first...
I would avoid throwing out your whole wardrobe and starting over. Buy pieces slowly and you'll increase the likelihood of not having to throw everything out again. Without context it is hard to make recommendations on what to look for next. If you're just wearing jeans, suede might be better over black. As for care, man of lint hit the nail on the head.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads