• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new koji suzuki update!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, are those green? Those are simply amazing shoes! I am sure very very very expensive, but simply amazing!

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I think cuban heels are fine if the angle is subtle. You don't want too much triangular effect which is feminine but the way some British makers like Cleverley and Amesbury do it is quite elegant in my opinion.

I find it interesting how Koji has added a padded like are to the sole...I'd be curious to learn more...is it leather? rubber? done for durability?

Swann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I find cuban heels on boots to be too cowboy/feminine. Cuban heels on mens shoes are just wrong. Very 1970's.

+1

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I find it interesting how Koji has added a padded like are to the sole...I'd be curious to learn more...is it leather? rubber? done for durability?
That "cushion" underneath the sole intrigues me as well.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they're ugly

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
that cushion actually looks like one of those materials used for mouse pad palm support gelatinous things.
if it were, would not it be very unstable to walk?
if it were a gelatinous material hardened to a degree, i think it is ingenious as it would provide stable walking support, protect your leather soles, and at the same time not as unsightly as the black rubber inserts some makes put on the soles.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgetting for a moment both the shoe's heel and its unique sole insert, that beveled edge on the sole's instep is truly amazing in its angle and general profile.

Even though we may live in tea-stirring times, this beautifully crafted shoe is not my particular cup of tea!

pejsek

Reaction score
I think that's exactly right, Full Canvas. Even when we may not particularly like a given Koji Suzuki shoe it's still impossible not to be awed by the design, construction, and simply masterful craftsmanship. Few shoes are as self-assured as this.
For the record, I like this shoe. More than anyone else, perhaps, Suzuki understands that the strap on a monk must always suggest tension. I also think the heel is quite beautiful. I wonder if we are seeing a pendulum shift among bespoke shoes back towards a smaller more angled heel (in an attempt to stand apart from the mile-long flat-as-the-plains heels we see everywhere).

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I wonder if we are seeing a pendulum shift among bespoke shoes back towards a smaller more angled heel (in an attempt to stand apart from the mile-long flat-as-the-plains heels we see everywhere).
The slightly angled heel has been visible in London since I got into bespoke in 1999.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
P.S. Koji is a master no doubt but the beveled instep is actually quite common on good bespoke shoes. Lobb, Cleverley, Amesbury and Lattanzi have the same cut on models.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My bold applied to your remarks.

P.S. Koji is a master no doubt but the beveled instep is actually quite common on good bespoke shoes. Lobb, Cleverley, Amesbury and Lattanzi have the same cut on models.

Please take another look at Suzuki's design. Perhaps you meant to say "similar" rather than "same?"

pejsek

Reaction score

blah, blah, blah. Yes, of course. Koji this, Jason that. Why don't you take another look at the shoes, Artisan Fan. I wasn't claiming that this--or the heel!-- was a complete innovation (there's nothing new under the sun, I suppose), but I think if you actually look at the work with a discerning eye you will be compelled to agree with the distinction Full Canvas draws between "similar" and "same."
Just my two cents.

argoth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
More than anyone else, perhaps, Suzuki understands that the strap on a monk must always suggest tension.

I'm not a fan of this particular shoe; too much going on. But there's definitely something about it that speaks to me and the craftsmanship is unquestionably evident. I think pejsek articulated it better than I ever could; the magic is in the strap.

Arg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads