• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Johnston & Murphy Aristocrat or Used Allen Edmonds

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am having my eyes set on a brand new pair of Johnston & Murphy Aldrich II from its so-called higher end Aristocrat collection (Made in India now). It's currently on sale for about 199 USD. However, I have also seen some suggested ideas of buying use AE Park Revenue from eBay. I've found a pair for around 200 USD (incl. shipping and duty as I'm in Canada sadly). The used AE looks slightly used with like new uppers and I can get a local cobbler to put TOPY on their worn soles.

Which option do you think would be better in term of value and long-term use?

starro

Reaction score
Are a new pair of AEs completely out of reach?

starro

Reaction score
At this price range it's slim pickings in terms of qualifty footwear. I would personally never buy used shoes (for health reasons), and I think Johnston Murphy is definitely overpriced for the quality.

If you have time, wait for sales of higher quality shoes. A $400-500 shoe, which would most likely be a league ahead in terms of quality and construction, could fall down into your price range if the time is right and you look for it.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently joined the world of AE. And the entry was through ebay (1 pair of Black Delray - used, 1 pair of Brown Delray - new with defects [mismatch size and some scuffs] and 1 pair of Black Park Avenues - new with defects [mismatch size and some scuffs]). All 3 cost less than $180 (Canadian) a pair, which includes delivery!

Previously, in terms of Goodyear welt shoes, I've only had British (Dacks, Barker, Hawkins, Doc Martens) and Indian (Charles Tyrwhitt) models. The British/Indian shoes are generally heavier and scuff very easily.

The AE ones are lighter in weight, and a lot more stylish. I suspect the Brown Delray and Park Avenues were seconds to begin with, and returned.

The Black Delrays were really comfortable, and I am on my feet all day (a lot of walking). This pair was lightly worn, as the insoles, and soles showed little use.

I honestly believe that these is nothing wrong with buying second hand shoes - as long as the soles and insoles show little wear and tear. Remember, AE can be recrafted by AE themselves, or other reputable services like Nucraft.

Try the second hand route. Good luck on finding deals!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am having my eyes set on a brand new pair of Johnston & Murphy Aldrich II from its so-called higher end Aristocrat collection (Made in India now). It's currently on sale for about 199 USD. However, I have also seen some suggested ideas of buying use AE Park Revenue from eBay. I've found a pair for around 200 USD (incl. shipping and duty as I'm in Canada sadly). The used AE looks slightly used with like new uppers and I can get a local cobbler to put TOPY on their worn soles. 

You can also look for retail returns or new without box, which I have found on eBay. The Crown Aristocrats go for about $200 (shipping included) and Allen Edmonds can be had for less than. 200 ( shipping in included ). I bought 2 new pairs of AE on eBay but they were size mismatched.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
I am having my eyes set on a brand new pair of Johnston & Murphy Aldrich II from its so-called higher end Aristocrat collection (Made in India now). It's currently on sale for about 199 USD. However, I have also seen some suggested ideas of buying use AE Park Revenue from eBay. I've found a pair for around 200 USD (incl. shipping and duty as I'm in Canada sadly). The used AE looks slightly used with like new uppers and I can get a local cobbler to put TOPY on their worn soles.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, the website for their factory seconds inventory is www.shoebank.com. If you ask, a salesperson will usually take a look at the shoes and let you know if the defect that makes them factory seconds is obvious or not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads