• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new job with a raise...?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it turns out my job search was fast. I put out 4 applications:

1. visiting assistant prof (temp job) position on the west coast that I figured I wouldn't get and wasn't worried about.

2. local community college that I figured I had a good shot at. they sent a letter informing me that the position had been cancelled due to budget, then called me to ask if I was still interested because they got the funding back. Too late, already committed to fall semester where I am.

3. community college north of here as a lark, and because my fiancee wants to move there (if we move). no word, no worries.

4. fed job that sounds really cool but for which I'm not sure I am qualified. Got the interview. Apparently nailed the intereview: was just offered the job which comes with a 34% raise over what I make now. Hmmm, move to DC; have shorter commutes for both of us; live closer to best friend and other friends; make much bigger $$ doing cool stuff? Yeah, I think I'll take it.

Woohoo!

So four apps and two intervies, one of which I had to turn down. One on-site interview, one job offer. That's a pretty good batting average I think. I am very proud of myself if you can't tell.
smile.gif

All's good in the 808 household. Now to start looking for a new place for June.

bob

Reactions: RJG

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Conratulations, Bob, that's fantastic!

Good luck finding house-hunting; avoid areas with a lot of construction
sly.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice going Bob. Send some of that karma my way, please.
smile.gif

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Bob. Glad to hear your luck is changing.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Congrats on the new job! What kind of work is it?

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Yes, congratulations. I think I would like to live in D.C. for a few years; seems like a fun place.

smile.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Congratulations!!

Sounds like a nice move.

Now I'm hoping to follow in your footsteps and find something soon.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats. Fast job searches with raises at the end are the only good kind.

Sincerely,
Huntsman

Buster

Reaction score
Congratulations. Are you thinking on coming back to the Academia after a few year or you are completely fed (no pun intended) with it?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
congratulations!!

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the well-wishing guys. I'm pretty excited by it all.

I have already accepted the offer conditional on the start date. Assuming that goes through (which I'm confident it will since the boss already agreed to it with me) I have my resignation written and signed and will deliver it to the appropriate people as soon as I get the word.

The job will involve industry structure analysis (economics) for a division of the Dept of Energy. I'm very excited about it, as this is right up my ally.

Will I head back to academia? I hope to. Part of the appeal of this job is that I think it will enhance my CV in terms of improving my research skills and from the "real world" experience I will have.

But for now we're looking forward to finding a new place and moving (hopefully) into DC. If not into, then very near at least. As long as it's within walking distance of the Metro. And we're looking forward to having more money.
blush.gif

b

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! As someone who is contemplating leaving academia for the "real world" in the not so distant future, I wish you well and hope to be in your shoes (EG I hope
smile.gif
) soon.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats!

You might be able to get to DC just as the housing market starts to cool down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads