• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New job tomorrow. Questions on business casual attire for short male.

Techknowfile

Reaction score
Hello forum, first time at this site, but it looks like a found the right place to ask for help.

To start, there isn't actually a dress code policy at my work. Business casual was recommended, but she did mention that even jeans with a nice shirt would be perfectly OK.. I intend on dressing for the position that I want, so don't worry, I won't be wearing jeans.

I am a 22 year old guy, 5'8, 120lbs, blue eyes, dark brown hair (Don't know what information you need) - being my height, I'm sure you can imagine what clothes shopping is like for me.

Looking at the styles out there, I've noticed that brown/tan shoes seem to be preferred over black, and lighter colored pants over black/grey/charcoal. However, I can't stand wearing light-colored pants and I personally prefer the look of black dress shoes/loafers.

To the questions..
  • Would black shoes and black pants be acceptable for business casual? And if so..
  • What color/pattern shirts should I wear with them? (I know not to wear plain white)

Any information/advice/examples you can give are greatly appreciated.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like black shoes and intend to wear them then try charcoal trousers, navy trousers, etc. etc. Black is pretty severe for daytime wear.

Look for button down collar dress shirts in various stripes, small checks, etc. etc. if you won't be wearing a tie. Good to have a little pattern.

Even wear jeans when first starting out if everyone else does.

Go in, get started, take a close look around you at how your peers and supervisors are dressing and then start to work out from there. You won't really know until you get in there and work a while - so keep it simple at first - no need to go out and buy a lot of things you will only find out you don't need in a couple of weeks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads