• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New job, time to get dandy

Ryan Holden

Reaction score
OK Team, another "business casual" related question. I'm moving into a new role within my company, which will require a different wardrobe approach. I've lived in a world where jeans and t shirt are perfectly acceptable in the office, and jeans and a company polo are acceptable at meetings. In short, I would like to upgrade both to more professional. But, a tie or full suit in 99% of the situations is too formal.

You'll in the pictures I'm a bigger dude. Yes, I'm working on that and happy with my progress. I'd like to stick to well fitted, darker clothing that can be dressed "down" for the office, or dressed "up" for meetings. My initial thought is wool pants or chinos paired with golf style company polo, or long sleeved button down shirt for the office. For meetings, skip the polo and dress up the shirt with a nicely fitted sportcoat. Also, a sportscoat should be more flattering, no?

What are your thoughts and suggestions? I'm aiming for timeless, classic, interchangeable that doesn't require a ton of thought. Are dark chinos and a blazer a good combination? Below are a couple of photos with navy chinos paired with a blazer, chinos with my golf 1/4 zip pullover and my un-tailored dress pants with my company polo. The first thing that needs to happen is to alter my dress pants.

Help me make better wardrobe decisions.....go:

IMG_8099.JPG

IMG_8102.JPG

IMG_8133.PNG

KotaB

Reaction score
Being a bigger dude myself I have learned that those golf style polo shirts aren't the best to wear because they hug your form, something with a nice drape to it is preferable. But if you have to wear the company polo there is not much you can do about that.

Ryan Holden

Reaction score
Is there a flattering way to layer OVER a company/golf polo? Thoughts?

KotaB

Reaction score
Is there a flattering way to layer OVER a company/golf

Maybe some sort of casual vest, perhaps a soft shell zip to match the level of formality of the polo. The company I work for is business casual and I see fleece vests worn around the office. Although it is winter so I'm not sure of a warmer weather option. From your pics it doesnt look bad on you especially factoring in that its company uniform. It's kind of a splitting hairs issue.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like you might get good use out of a nice, long sleeve polo like this one. They're comfortable, and a good mix of refined/casual. They look good under a jacket, or on their own with the sleeves pushed up. It's also the kind of polo shirt you could get away with wearing under a sweater.

Alpha11

Reaction score
If I were to work with you as a image consultant. My my following advice to you as far as how to maximize the best aspects of you while minimizing the less complimentary.

1) Purchase a better grade of shoe and make sure you keep them clean and polished. I would make sure you had different models and colors of shoes: monk strap, oxfords, butchers, Chelsea boots,and loafers. Calf skin, Cordovan shell and suede are all textures you should have in your shoe rotation.

2) It is very imperative that you get the fit of your trousers correct. This means making sure the break at the bottom of your trousers are not too excessive or too short.

Making sure that the trousers are not pulling at the pockets meaning the pockets lay flat. Also a nice taper with a longer rise with help give you a longer leg line.

3) If you can wear button down shirts instead of polo shirts then do it. If you can get them custom made to address any fit issue then even better. Also look for patterns and colors that compliment you and the season.

4) If you can wear blazers, sport coats then you can use patterns that complement your height and size. Use the colors and patterns to highlight your hair, skin color and time of year.

Last edited:

Ryan Holden

Reaction score
Guys,
I've been keeping an eye on this thread, and am appreciative to your thoughts. Nothing has been a surprise, which helps my confidence that I'm heading in the right direction. Being that I work in manufacturing world that sells and works with other manufactuerers, but also tractor dealerships, I decided to give a shot with something that IMO looks classic-ish, is flattering (dark colors), but also industrial enough that I can go out to the shop and not panic. What do you think? That's a Duluth Trading Co unstructured twill jacket, dark wash straight leg jeans, standard company polo, and chukka boots by Irish Setter (Red Wing brand I think):
IMG_8296.PNG
IMG_8297.PNG
IMG_8298.PNG
IMG_8299.PNG

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your ideas are going in the right direction, but could use some tweaking. First, I'm definitely not a fan of a polo style shirt with a blazzer. Just my preference, but you should have a full button down shirt if you're wearing the blazer. The jacket, shirt and pants together are, IMO, way too monochrome - 3 different shades of blue. If you wear dark jeans, try something of a charcoal or grey blazer and a lighter shade shirt.

The blazer you have there doesn't quite fit well though. When buttoned, it's too tight. And, the sleeves are too long. Another inch or two in the jacket and altered sleeves would fit much better. If you want to wear blazers, find a good tailor so you can get things like sleeve alterations done.

Also, the pants seem to be a good fit in the leg, but are long. Again, finding a local tailor can do wonders. The absolute biggest aspect, IMO, is clothes that fit you well. Get a larger jacket, have it tailored. Get the legs tailored on the jeans you wear to work.

But, I will also add - don't get hung up on wearing a blazer. You don't want to be the guy that wears the same blazer every day. If you only have 1 blazer I wouldn't wear it more than 1 time per 2 weeks. If you want to wear one every day, you really should have at least 6 so you're not wearing the same one twice in 1 week (and you don't want to wear the same blazer every Tuesday, for example so you want a number > 5). If you only have 1 or 2 blazers, wear them 1 or 2 times per month.

Alpha11

Reaction score
I have to agree with everything Johng70 had to say in his post. The advise on color, cut and contrast in regards to what is being shown in the photo was spot on.

Ryan Holden

Reaction score
Yup, you guys are spot on. I agree. I'll definitely invest in some appropriate button down shirts, and tailor the coat enough for the correct length of shirt cuff to show. And the shirts will be a lighter color, likely either plain white, light blue, or a plaid. And I'll take the jeans to a tailor too for hemming. I'll follow up in a few weeks with the progress.

golfnutter66

Reaction score
Since you are seeking a classic casual business style, the blazer paired with beige, gray, dark grey dress pants (and the occasional chino on Fridays) is where you need to be. Also subtle sport coats like E Zegna, and avoid the polo shirt underneath. Does not work. Stick to solid white and blue shirts, maybe some subtle stripes.

In general, I would focus on getting a good fitting blazer (unlike the one you are wearing, no offence) and a couple good fitting sport coats. Then pair nice wool dress pants.

There must be a good menswear store where you live that carries better brands (e.g. Canali, Samuelsohn). If you can afford it, spend some money there but tell them you want a classic fit. Not a trendy short, tight jacket. You want a jacket that is flattering.

Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads