• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Job - New Wardrobe

313Matt

Reaction score
Hey guys, Matt from Michigan. I just landed a job where I will be going from wearing shirts and ties to wearing suits.

Anyway, I've done some research on what I need but there seems to be some questions still.

So I'm going to be buying 5 suits. I'm thinking a somewhere in the 120 thread count range. An all-season suit. So here's me: 6'4" 300 pounds... would a single breasted, low button suit work well for me? I'm really out of my element here and I don't trust the random service aid at Men's Warehouse.

Any recommendations for me? Tips? Pointers?

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
Don't go to mens warehouse. Go to Brooks Brothers, or alternatively, a trusted tailor, and get ALL your measurements. If you are on a budget and need to resort to buying suits from Mens Warehouse, or Jos. A. Bank, be sure the suits fit all your measurements and look good on you.

I'd highly recommend getting your suits of the B&S part of this forum. Another option is suit supply. They have never good quality suits that are very affordable. They also make their suits in a broad range of sizes.

suitsupply.com

313Matt

Reaction score
I'll go ahead and check out the small tailoring shop in the mall. Any specific reason to avoid Men's Warehouse?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd highly recommend trying suits on first. Yes, measurements are great, but there a lot of different cuts out there and just cause the measurements seem fine, doesn't mean they will flatter. Given your size, some of the fuller cuts, like say a mainline hickey or madison cut brooks brothers might work the best.

herfitup

Reaction score
At 6'4" and 300 Jos. A Banks might be the place to start depending on your build. They offer separates on a lot of their suits. Buy one or two and see how they work out for you. They aren't bad suits just not great ones.I have trouble getting a suit that fits my upper body with pants that fit. I end up spending a fortune on tailoring the pants to fit and I'm smaller than you. I'm guessing that single breasted is going to be the only option but low button is going to be relative to the cut of the suit in the size you will need.

Once you know what fits and find a good tailor the world is open to you,.

BigRedLaw

Reaction score
A few years ago I bought a suit from Mens Warehouse. I actually got two because it was buy one get one free (should have been my first red flag). The sales people there are pushy (Wall St location) and the product is terrible. I went with their house brand, something feins or something similar. The suits are stiff, look cheap and feel cheap. Honestly, I don't know enough to say what it is that makes them look cheap but if I put my navy Canali, which isn't special, next to the crap I bought at MH you can really tell the difference. I have a hatred for MWH after having to wear the crap from that store for a few months... I would avoid it at all costs... Invest in a good suit that will last you a while... In the end I imagine you would end up spending the same amount of money.

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
^^ Agreed. If you are wearing suits every day, invest in good ones. If you cheap out, you will regret it later. A $250 suit is not a good deal if it sits in your closet after a while because you hate it.

And find a good tailor. They can work miracles

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matt, the info you seek is all on this site. Do a bit of searching and reading and educate yourself. They take a bit of time to try on different things at different price points. After that you can come back with more specific questions.

knoll45

Reaction score
^^ Agreed. If you are wearing suits every day, invest in good ones. If you cheap out, you will regret it later. A $250 suit is not a good deal if it sits in your closet after a while because you hate it.
And find a good tailor. They can work miracles

Is there even a $250 suit nowadays? That's a little scary for that amount.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads