1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New Job - Manhattan and wardrobe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NYliGuy, Jul 3, 2013.

1. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

No. Nothing "funky" about it. Different kinds of stripes and, if acceptable, checks - which wasn't actually stated in #17. Based on the presumption that he wants to look stylish, but is hemmed in by the conservative dress code. If he wants more details, he can ask here.

2. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

I supplied 'funky', as I found your suggestion somewhat asinine (& revealing about 'image consultancy' ...[​IMG]).

If the OP actually wants to learn about dressing well in a conservative environment (including, yes, some suggestions more suitable for the more rarified heights of CBD), he could do a lot worse than reading Manton's list (and indeed that thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309783/...ollowing-things-you-are-not-well-dressed/0_50).

3. mensimageconsultant

Biased against a service you've never used? Great. Besides, clearly he's disinclined toward CBD and feels pressured to dress more conservatively.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  4. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

Not tried fortune tellers or astrologists either. Could be I'm missing out, but I'm cool with that.

5. mensimageconsultant

Some consultants might just push their own opinions, but legitimate image consulting is based on scientific principles, research, etc. - and importantly as pertains to this thread, actually listening to what someone wants and seeking more information from him.

6. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Ok, well the first half is VERY relevant

7. mp1472

mp1472 Senior member

After losing tons of weight Ive been building my wardrope back up and can recommend

Neimen marcus last call
    Zanella slacks (awesome quality for price)
    Hickey freeman mainline suits sportcoats (need to know the difference of the model names)
    Brioni zegna charvet ties
    Variousbrand dress shirts
    When they have the additional% off sales i cruise by and always kop a few good items on the cheap.
    Luxire.com good value custom shirts
    Some great deals on the forum also bought quite a few pieces ... look at belvest for sport coats amesome quality/price point

Once u find some brands you like theres some deals on flea bay!

8. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Why are you being so ill mannered?

I got stopped in union square about a year ago and asked if I wanted a makeover by image consultants with funky spikey hair and tats, I had to laugh.

9. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

^ A jocular response to the implication that because I hadn't tried image consultancy, my disdain for it was somehow to be questioned.

"You can't knock it until you've tried it" is really the hallmark of the Sixth Form Debating Society.

What prompted me to comment in the first place was that m.i.c. dismissed a rather helpful link to Manton's list as "irrelevant" and provided an asinine suggestion about varying dress shirts. Precisely what I would expect from image consultancy TBH.

1 person likes this.
  10. mensimageconsultant

There's almost zero chance those people are trained image consultants, and shame on them if they are.

The argument is not "You can't knock it until you've tried it" - the argument is your perception of the industry is way off, which it wouldn't be if there was some past experience.

As usual, stupid arguments go on while the subject of the thread stays quiet. At least post #27 is well-meant and possibly helpful.

11. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Out of curiosity, how do you get clients? People call you up and say "I dress badly, help!"?

12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Step #1: Dismiss helpful links from other posters as "irrelevant." Only your knowledge is relevant.

13. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

My favorite use of "don't knock it until you've tried it" is Ali G's retort to an anti-abortion activist.

14. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

[​IMG]But you would say that wouldn't you - 'if you don't think the service has value, it just shows you don't understand the service'.

Sounds like the old cliche about consultants using your own watch to tell you the time is on target here.

Interesting, by the way, that you think the usual SF 'why can I kop these brands' contribution in #27 is helpful. Another reason not to try image consulting.

15. mensimageconsultant

Balfour seems to be foaming at the mouth and without an idea of what real image consultants do. To answer the question above, there's no way for them to call - someone probably didn't look at the website - but sometimes they sign up and yes basically say "Help, I have no style." Sometimes it's more complicated than that, like the subject of this thread.

Anyway, the CBD link 'advice' was mostly irrelevant because the New Yorker seems to prefer a modern style (within office culture confines). If only he'd speak up and clarify.

16. NYliGuy

NYliGuy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the list, I'll check out Neimen Marcus.

I was looking for a simple basic list of 'must haves' for starting a more modern business wardrobe. The environment is where most of the men wear khakis and polo, or simply slacks and collar shirts. I would like to go a step up and add a sports coat, and to upgrade my shoes, slacks, shirts but staying away from wearing a tie.

Digging around on Google I came across "realmenrealstyle.com and like this video trying to build a versatile wardrobe.

I hope that helps describe the advice I was soliciting here at styleforum, but looking for more specifics and assurance of some core pieces to go grab

17. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

I think you need to go find what you're looking for on this site instead of waiting for it to come to you. Explore, click, read, laugh, cry, learn. There are pages and pages and pages and pages of people wearing clothes and other people commenting on the fit, the style, the color palette. Look at WAYWRN and Manton's Good Taste threads, and the 101 threads. Put in some effort and you will be rewarded.

1 person likes this.
  18. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Building a wardrobe starting with:
    Brooks Brothers White and blue, spread collar and button-down collar shirts
    Get many many blue. Some stripes, checks, various patterns. Get few white. But white isn't as much of a crime as some here say. I believe white shirts go good with brown blazers.
    Brooks Brother – Fredrick fit navy blazer
    Check.
    Banana Republic – light grey herringbone blazer
    Personally I think brown would be a better option for a beginning wardrobe. Anyone agree? Blue and browns?
    Banana Republic – black slacks, brown khakis
    I would just return the black slacks.
    Allen Edmonds – Park Avenue shoes in black and brown (*********Will the brown PA go well with khakis/Chinos, or would another allen edmond shoe work better*********)
    This works.

I would start working on more pants. Mid-grey, khaki, other tan, maybe even navy although it's 'against the rules' but I see it work great all the time.
    As long as you have 2-3 jackets, 3-4 pants, 7+ shirts and a few shoes, you're good to go.

That's my take, for a beginning wardrobe that you need. I'm still building mine but I keep stopping along the way for non-necessities. I have 4 loafers (3 suede, 1 navy shell), 2 double monks, one punch-cap and one adelaide (I know, wtf).I've got shirts and sport coats covered. I keep buying pants that go great with certain things but not others. Mainly patterned. I need to stop.

Just letting you know what I learned from my path.

19. suited

suited Senior member

I don't understand why AE Park Avenues are always recommended. I own a pair, but they are by far the most boring and ugliest shoes I own. I wouldn't say they are defined by the word ugly, they're just the closest to it. How about you get whatever shoe you like? If you're given that kind of freedom and you end up with something hideous and not appropriate for the office, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Get some gray pants, some brown ones as well. Get some blazers. Solid navy, brown, whatever. Pick the patterns you like and keep in mind that having things you can wear both in and out of the office is always a plus. Don't be afraid to wear a blazer because it has a ticket pocket. I think people put way too much thought into this. Unless you do something really crazy, nobody is going to care what you wear. If everyone else is wearing a polo, I wouldn't show up the first day in a suit, but there's nothing wrong with dressing better than them as long as you carry yourself the right way and project the right attitude about clothing.

1 person likes this.
  20. chogall

chogall Senior member

E PA is plain enough to offend on one but nice enough to be dressy and durable.