1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

new job; looking to upgrade

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by anonynon, Apr 24, 2016.

1. anonynon

anonynon New Member

Hello all,

I have landed my first high-paying job and have always wanted to dress the part. Typically, I go for suit supply since it's in my budget and fairly well-made and slim-fitting. I was finally able to afford Ralph Lauren Black Label navy solid Anthony suit, and after some tailoring, I absolutely loved it, and have gotten more compliments on it than anything else I own (then again, it's also the nicest thing I own).

I'm quickly learning that there's an entire world of men's fashion that I never even bothered learning about because it was way out of my budget, and I'm quite frankly overwhelmed.

I'm 5'11", on the muscular side, 31" waist, ~40" chest, 165lbs. I love the sleek, trim, tailored look that RL Black Label has. My other suit I got off eBay years ago that I enjoy is the Oswald Boteng tailored very tight.

I'd truly appreciate if you guys could point me in the right direction to start building up the closet I've always dreamed of. Any insight into shirts (I like very light, egyptian cotton style, crisp but cut very slim shirts), and anything else you can think of is greatly appreciated. My budget is flexible and I live in the US with 4 seasons. I don't think I need to buy any tuxedos, but suits, sport coats, shirts, dress pants, etc. are all part of my project.

Thank you all.

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

What trade or calling? There are vast differences in attire required e.g. Lawyers and marketing etc.

3. anonynon

anonynon New Member

Plastic surgeon. I will be wearing a suit to clinic and meetings M-F, and will be going to national conference meetings probably every 2-3 months. I live on the West Coast.

4. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

West Coast? Getting warmer, at least figuratively speaking. If it's LA, the flash on a cosmetic surgeon probably is much more acceptable than it would be in most other locations. And what about shoes? That might be the second-most important apparel category for a cosmetic surgeon. Furthermore, to be blunt, this situation (cosmetic surgeon, major wardrobe upgrade) probably is best handled with professional assistance, because the appearance matters so much.

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

Clinic - suit?

If you are doing this as a commercial enterprise i.e. elective mutilation then fair enough, medical necessity surely that is in a hospital environment where the easy ability to wash your clothes is an overwhelming priority?