• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New jeans collectios

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I haven't seen them yet, but Rogan's diffusion line, or should I say "another line" (Rogan wants to be as disassociated with the line as possible) should have, or should be, hitting your local retailers soon. Apparently, there will only be 3 fits available, and in three washes, for men and women - a worker cut, a basic straightleg, and a slight bootcut - in organic cotton straight outta Ken-tuc-ky. The washes will apparently be a lot different from the Rogan jeans as welol - much less urban brooder (who nonetheless has $200+ to spend on jeans) and much more classic Americana. Sounds intriguing, and in keeping with the re-emerging cleaner is better (see Wrangler 47 by Built by Wendy for another example, and the new Lee collection) trend. I'll stick by my guns: Paper Denim, Levis Premiums (that's where my classic Americana comes in) and A.P.C. Loose fit. But I am intrigued. The prices don't look prohibitive (well under $200, and starting at $160), so I may give it a try. The lines sounds a lot like what Earl should have been. A. Harris mentioned in a P.M. to me "Ernest Sewn" jeans as well. I also have yet to see them. My first aquisition for the fall season will be a (very reasonably priced) chocolate brown brushed twill western styled blazer from Built by Wendy for Wrangler. Should look good over a track jacket or a hoodie with some jeans, a cool belt, and some Adidas Italia or Samoa (or Puma or Nike, or whatever legit sneaker brand you choose.) Simple, not trying too hard, and you can go from breakfast at some random joint to lunch standing up (LA's famous bacon wrapped hotdogs&#33
wink.gif
to a nice dinner (but not at a too trendy restaurant where I might be compelled to strangle some annoying, yappy mutt (the dog, not the owner) and bitchslap her striped shirt and dark suit wearing works-on-Wall-Street sexually confused "boyfriend",) and finally, after all of that, for some drinks and laughs about the bitchslapping at a laid back bar. Sounds like a very nice jacket indeed. Very, um, multifunctional.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i never thought i'd see wrangler jeans listed for $125. at least that's the price on builtbywendy's site. yipes. is wrangler 'cool' now or something?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i never thought i'd see wrangler jeans listed for $125. at least that's the price on builtbywendy's site. yipes. is wrangler 'cool' now or something?

Wranglers have been at least moderately cool (affiliated but different company) in Europe for a while now. All the traditional American jeans companies are seeing the advantage of having a foothold in the increasingly lucrative "premium" denim market. So yes, *some* Wranglers are cool now. But you can still expect to see your $18 high rise stonewashed specials at Kmart (or does Kmart just carry Lee?) just as you can pick up Levis for under $30 anywhere. Personally, I see nothing (right now, haven't seen them in person) particularly special about the Built by Wendy jeans, but those *are* some sweet jackets - imo a good alternative, and better suited to wearing with jeans, than the not ubiquitous (often pinstriped) longer cut sports jacket that everyone, and I mean everyone (even Paper Denim has a version) is now making. Sad. I, the less heat sensitive people in LA, and pretty much everyone under 35 has been doing this (casual, tight sportsjacket with a hoodie - mine was first a boxier, very heavily textured Hugo Boss, than a very, very slim Emporio Armani) for about 3-4 years now (I did it three years ago - follower.) But now that Justin and Pharrell puts it out on MTV, every teenager with access to an Urban Outfitters will be doing it.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Wranglers have been at least moderately cool (affiliated but different company) in Europe for a while now. Â All the traditional American jeans companies are seeing the advantage of having a foothold in the increasingly lucrative "premium" denim market. Â So yes, *some* Wranglers are cool now. Â But you can still expect to see your $18 high rise stonewashed specials at Kmart (or does Kmart just carry Lee?) just as you can pick up Levis for under $30 anywhere. Â Personally, I see nothing (right now, haven't seen them in person) particularly special about the Built by Wendy jeans, but those *are* some sweet jackets - imo a good alternative, and better suited to wearing with jeans, than the not ubiquitous (often pinstriped) longer cut sports jacket that everyone, and I mean everyone (even Paper Denim has a version) is now making. Â Sad. Â I, the less heat sensitive people in LA, and pretty much everyone under 35 has been doing this (casual, tight sportsjacket with a hoodie - mine was first a boxier, very heavily textured Hugo Boss, than a very, very slim Emporio Armani) for about 3-4 years now (I did it three years ago - follower.) Â But now that Justin and Pharrell puts it out on MTV, every teenager with access to an Urban Outfitters will be doing it.
So true. I started wearing hooded stuff under blazers/sport coats/suits when I first saw Dogma, but now I'm really getting sick of the look, and it's a shame because I still think it looks great. The first jacket I used was a very slim black velvet blazer that I got at a thrift store. Can't remember the name of the brand, but it was made in Poland. The best way to individualize the look as I see it is to do what you are doing; use jackets with more unconvential fabrics (cords, denim, or satin if you're a fancy boy...). I also have these painted tipless gloves by Yoko Devereaux that I wear often with long-sleeved jackets that do well to personalize the look. Now that I think about it, I'm really not worried anymore. Perhaps I'll pick up that tan Built by Wendy corduroy blazer.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mr LA Guy, any opinion on koneHELSINKI jeans out of finland, if you've heard of them that is ....

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
www.konehelsinki.com the english part of the website never seems to work but if you click on the finnish language part, find konekauppa, which is a webshop (http://193.94.160.8/konekauppa/) and there are some extreme examples of their work to give you some idea of what they produce

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those are some ZIPPERS.

i might wear them if i were single, going to a club, and wanted everyone to look at my 'package for delivery'.

minus the zipper, i kinda like the third one down: Pitkälahje sininen. it's interesting, anyway.

the finnish language is crazy. it's as if the japanese colonized northern europe a thousand years ago, and then left.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting cuts, but I've never been a fan of the open zipper look - which I think looks great if you are a rockstar, or at least playing an instrument/belting out a song onstage, but which otherwise looks like it's trying too hard. The washes don't seem particularly special or well conceived to me, especially compared to the California and New York based companies (I'm thinking Rogan, Paper Denim, and True Religion in particular.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads