New ISAIA suit - too short?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by silvercitynyc, Jul 3, 2012.

1. silvercitynyc

silvercitynyc Senior member

Just bought this suit and I'm 90% sure I got it too short. The top jacket button just buttons about 1.5-2.0" too high, from my personal feeling.

As a point of reference, I the jacket top button closes about 1.5" below the bottom of my chest sternum, and the jacket bottom button hits right at my belly button (which is a couple inches above where I sit my pants/belt.

Let me know what you guys think (excuse the dirty mirror pics).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

2. minervau

minervau Senior member

The button stance does strike me as rather high, though it's currently in fashion. Jacket length is actually pretty good, though on the shorter side of ideal. If you go by the "second knuckle" rule, the jacket looks to be hitting the base of your thumb (i.e., 1st knuckle).

3. md2010

md2010 Senior member

4. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Doesn't look 'too short". That picture of your back shows it is fine.

I think you and all of us are too used to seeing men wear jackets that are too long.... Every guy wants to think they are 6'1 and fits into that suit of the rack no problemo.

5. silvercitynyc

I just compare it to my 42R RLBL jacket, and the RLBL jacket is 3" longer from top of lapel collar to the 1st button (compared to the Isaia jacket).

To me, it just makes me "look short"...in the RLBL jacket, I "look taller/longer" (with a longer jacket)...I thought the whole point of shorter jackets, was it makes you look leaner (you guys tell me).

For reference, I'm 6'0" and about 180-185lbs.

Cheers!

6. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The jackets I have made by Mina in Naples are that length. It is the fashion. Just got a copy of GQ. The jackets are way shorter.

Yours is fine. I think it takes a little getting used to. But after a while I think you will actually like it. Just be sure to wear trim fitting pants that aren't too long in the inseam to complete the look

7. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Length looks good

8. silvercitynyc

I guess the better question is if the button stance is way too high. That's what really bothers me (not the actual length of the jacket).

9. silvercitynyc

Appreciate the input guys - so button stance is "ok"?

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The trend has been for a higher button stance. I actually like a lower one but the fashion designers don't rework their lines around PSG's preferences.

I'm sure some day in the future the button stance will become lower, but for now if you want to look in style you might as well ride the trend. Especially with a shorter jacket.

11. billsayers

billsayers Senior member

The button stance does seem a little high and combined with the shorter length, the jacket looks a bit boxy. However, the jacket seems to fit you well in regards to shoulders/chest and does cover your rear end.

My personal opinion is that if I am not at least 90% satisfied with the suit, I would return unless it was bought at an amazing deal.

12. silvercitynyc

By the way, after re-wearing my suit today and having a tailor take a look, we both agreed this style looks great (and slimming/talling)...I think I may be semi-converted to slightly shorter jackets / slightly higher button stances.

Still, if it was up to me (i.e., for a bespoke suit), I would lower the button stance by 0.5-1.0" and lenghten the jacket by as much.

13. comrade

comrade Senior member

All Isaia suits which I have seen in the San Francisco stores for the past three or four years are too short, IMHO.
    That's why I stopped buying the brand.

14. totolino85

totolino85 Well-Known Member

looks fine to me! But I'm italian living in italy and I noticed more than once that in USA you like longer jackets; RLPL makes beautifull suits for ex , but beside being double price than kiton here in Italy (and not being worth so IMHO) they have jackets that are waaay to long!

So coming back to you no, the length of the jacket is perfect!

15. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Needs better pics.