• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New interviewing suit - please comment

The Transporter

Reaction score
I needed a new suit for interviewing and found this one yesterday at a local department store. I don't trust their tailor so I figured I'd get it altered at one of the tailors here in Chicago, either Maria at Golden Needle or Nick at Oak Street Tailors. It's a blue flannel with faint chalk stripes.

I've been working out quite a bit in the last year and am 6'4" 240lbs. with pretty broad shoulders and chest so needed a 46L to fit those areas. But with that comes the fact that the sides need taken in since I don't want it to look like a sack suit. The sleeves need shortened a bit, too.

I'm not married to keeping the suit if you don't think it fits right but just wanted some opinions on the fit before I tailor it.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might not want to wear pinstripes to an interview. I would stick with a conservative cut in a solid color. Perhaps charcoal grey or navy.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I think it looks great. You'll look better than 99% of your competition.

The Transporter

Reaction score
Thanks! I was trying to find something conservative and this was the closest thing I could find in my size. There was a solid charcoal but the collar fit like crap. The rest were just crap patterns and fabric. It's been a while since I had to interview and the last time I wore a black suit
laugh.gif
I'm not interviewing for a banking position but something in recruiting in the creative fields. I probably won't even need to wear a suit but just thought I'd get a new one to have handy. I guess if it comes down to being ultra-conservative I could just pull out my navy blazer. It still fits reasonably well. The other suit I can wear is below and I've used it on a lot of commercial shoots though it's hardly conservative.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Creative field - that suit will definitely work.

The other suit will be great for a second interview.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
I like the suit, it doesn't look all that baggy around the waist. A good tailor won't have any issues bringing it in a bit.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
You might not want to wear pinstripes to an interview. I would stick with a conservative cut in a solid color. Perhaps charcoal grey or navy.

smack.gif

The day navy blue pins are "not conservative enough".... yeesh.

Suit look great.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yikes, trust the other guys on the pinstripes. I've only begun the interview process myself, so perhaps my advice was a bit hasty. As for fit, it looks great. Keep doing what you're doing.

The Transporter

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Just dropped it off to Nick at Oak Street Tailors and he's going to have it back to me on Tuesday. I was really surprised that he could get it back to me so quickly but I told him I have an interview coming up so he's doing a rush for me. He's taking in the sides and adjusting the back a bit on the jacket and nipping in the waist and seat on the pants and adding 2" cuffs.

Now to figure out the shirt and tie
smile.gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cary Grant is often seen in a blue suit of similar tone with a solid tie of a medium gray or gray/blue against a white shirt. Classic look.

The Transporter

Reaction score
I love Cary Grant so will check out something like that. Sadly, he actually died in my hometown when I was in junior high with "A Legend Dies in Our Arms" being the headline in our paper the next day. I always liked him before that and that just made him even more important to me.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Transporter
I needed a new suit for interviewing and found this one yesterday at a local department store. I don't trust their tailor so I figured I'd get it altered at one of the tailors here in Chicago, either Maria at Golden Needle or Nick at Oak Street Tailors. It's a blue flannel with faint chalk stripes. I've been working out quite a bit in the last year and am 6'4" 240lbs. with pretty broad shoulders and chest so needed a 46L to fit those areas. But with that comes the fact that the sides need taken in since I don't want it to look like a sack suit. The sleeves need shortened a bit, too. I'm not married to keeping the suit if you don't think it fits right but just wanted some opinions on the fit before I tailor it.
What color are those stripes?

The Transporter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
What color are those stripes?

I assumed they were a faint white but being colorblind they could be lime green or tangerine for all I know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads