• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New higher end stock in Vancouver's Holts

Fabro

Reaction score
I passed through Holt Renfrew today and they now have Church's shoes, Isaia jackets and shirts and Ralph Lauren Purple Label. Apparently it all started arriving about 2 weeks ago in anticipation of the new store.

Now, if you live in a larger city in the US you are probably wondering what the big deal is. Truth is, there really isn't anywhere else here in town that carries these labels, and it's a big jump upward for the local Holts. You should have seen the old shoe section. Tragic.

pg34

Reaction score
The old shoe section was so utterly pathetic. You were lucky to find shoes that had real stitched soles.

LegB4Wicket

Reaction score
And i'm sure Holt Renfrew will reflect this higher end stock with even higher prices.

I'm going to be a poorer
frown.gif
, but better dressed
bigstar[1].gif
, man after my next visit to Vancouver.

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know they were going to stock Isaia. They carried RLPL a few years back but didn't do very well with it. I wonder what's changed?

Can't wait for the new space to open! It's looking pretty interesting from the street...

Fabro

Reaction score
Apparently in addition to the new store there is a new head buyer back east who is really revamping the tired old lines.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's good news, ksm. I had no idea that this was in the works. Where is the new store? Or is it just a reno of the one in Pacific Centre? Do you know whether they'll be carrying the whole Isaia line--suits, jackets, trousers, shirts, ties? Good to see some British shoes finally back in Vancouver (after the brick & mortar Sheppard's Shoes shut down years ago), even if they're Church's. I wonder why they didn't go with Crockett & Jones. Better shoes at a lower price, in my opinion. Oh well, this is progress! Thanks for bringing it to the attention of all of us deprived Vancouver style fans!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wonder if the one in montreal will carry it too. Hope they have RLPL shoes.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Wonder if the one in montreal will carry it too. Hope they have RLPL shoes.

Why would you buy in Canada though? Retail prices are already inflated. Also, at RLPL prices, you could go bespoke with Vass or maybe Santoni bench series. It's so pathetic in Canada... Allen Edmonds are like $450 here, whereas in the states you can buy most models on discounted websites for like $150.

CaptChaos

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I will check it out the next time I am downtown.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
That's good news, ksm. I had no idea that this was in the works. Where is the new store? Or is it just a reno of the one in Pacific Centre?

The new store will be on the block north of the main mall. The bridge to it is at the end of the second floor hallway where Harry Rosen & the Zegna boutique are. They're still building it, but the exterior walls are almost all up.

The Ingledews outlet is good if you don't want to pay $450 for AEs. Apart from that, things are expensive here. Personally, I'm more excited by the rumour that the old HR will be replaced by an H&M.

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrenkin
Personally, I'm more excited by the rumour that the old HR will be replaced by an H&M.

Yes, I heard this rumour too. They will do well in that location. It seems that many international chains are setting up shop in Vancouver in anticipation of the 2010 olympics, which is no doubt motivation for Holt's as well.

While I agree that I would not pay full retail for RLPL shoes (or Church's, for that matter), I am sadly not who they are trying to sell to. Holts is geared to 1. Residents with money and 2. Tourists with money. I am neither.
frown.gif

I will merely have to toil away on the web waiting for edmorel's next post...
smile.gif

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
I wonder why they didn't go with Crockett & Jones. Better shoes at a lower price, in my opinion.

The affiliation with Prada gives them more volume buying power which = more margin for Holt's. Church's also has more brand power, which is important for the asian tourists.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads