• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Hickey Freeman line "Sterling"

Strawfut

Reaction score
Good to hear.

So how many lines do they have now?
* Presidential
* Madison
* Barrett
* Canterbury
* Vanguard (extinct?)
* Boardroom (extinct?)
* Hickey Freeman Collection
* Hickey
* Sterling (Coming Soon)

element02

Reaction score
Is the Sterling line going to be comparable to Hickey?

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's awesome that they're actually adding workers and expanding production domestically. I thought there was a good chance they'd be moving a lot if not all production overseas.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
"Along with creation of the Sterling line "” Hickey Freeman's traditional clothing line will become the Mahogany line "” the company will start a $1.2 million marketing campaign this fall involving print and online advertising, Williams said.

Sterling suits will begin at $895 and are intended to build brand-loyal customers at a younger age"

""What we are going to accomplish over the next year is going to startle the entire American apparel industry. We are going to turn into an entire lifestyle brand," Williams said."

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...younger-buyers

Nothing new here...just continuation of stripping the make from the garment and using slick advertising to make one think they are getting something special. Oh, and there's that "lifestyle" moniker again.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TonyThe Tailor
"Along with creation of the Sterling line "” Hickey Freeman's traditional clothing line will become the Mahogany line "” the company will start a $1.2 million marketing campaign this fall involving print and online advertising, Williams said.

Sterling suits will begin at $895 and are intended to build brand-loyal customers at a younger age"

""What we are going to accomplish over the next year is going to startle the entire American apparel industry. We are going to turn into an entire lifestyle brand," Williams said."

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...younger-buyers

Nothing new here...just continuation of stripping the make from the garment and using slick advertising to make one think they are getting something special. Oh, and there's that "lifestyle" moniker again.

Crap.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting that this was partly made possible by Congress and the "American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010" - specifically adjustments to the tariffs that go to the "Wool Trust Fund".

When I first read that, I thought (sadly) "again, the Fed is 'leveling a playing field' by taxing stuff", but digging a little deeper, I found this on NY Congresswoman Louise Slaughter's page ( http://www.louise.house.gov/index.ph...010&Itemid=141 ):

Background on the Wool Trust Fund

In 2000, Congress enacted a grant and tariff relief program for the U.S. wool industry. The legislation created a "wool trust fund," which provides payments to U.S. suit makers to compensate for the competitive damage to the U.S. suit industry caused by an inverted tariff. (Inverted tariffs occur when the duty on a finished product (e.g., a suit) is lower than the duty on the inputs (e.g., fabric) used to make the finished product.) The wool trust fund also makes payments to U.S. wool fabric and yarn producers, as well as sheep growers, to encourage more U.S. production of wool fabrics.

The trust fund is funded through the revenue collected from tariffs on wool textile imports, primarily yarns and fabrics. The wool trust fund and tariff relief package was reauthorized in 2008. In 2008 and 2009, the revenue generated through wool fabric/yarn tariffs shrank considerably, resulting in much lower payments to U.S. wool suit producers and other recipients under the program. To address the immediate shortfall, the provision in the bill would use revenue generated from tariffs on other apparel products to fund the wool trust fund at the level authorized in 2004.​

So the Fed actually collects the difference between tariffs on the raw materials and finished goods and pays that to the manufacturers. I'm no fan of big government, but in so far as it is self-funded, it seems to be a decent answer. And one that should help allow more manufacturers to stay domestic, which I do like.

Slightly OT, but I thought someone else might find it interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads