1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New Haven, anyone know it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PHV, Mar 13, 2005.

1. visionology

visionology Senior member

And everyone is kicking themselves right now because the former Whalers just won the Stanley Cup as the Carolina Hurricanes [​IMG] The problem with Hartford is it is stuck not too far from Boston and New York which have a LOT of teams so there is almost so other room for another team to exist that would draw away from the existing franchises.

2. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

I visited Yale once.
    I'm going to Princeton.

P.S. Nighty Night Better Keep Your Butthole Tight!

3. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

And everyone is kicking themselves right now because the former Whalers just won the Stanley Cup as the Carolina Hurricanes [​IMG]

The problem with Hartford is it is stuck not too far from Boston and New York which have a LOT of teams so there is almost so other room for another team to exist that would draw away from the existing franchises.

I actually just came back to Hartford (Hartford area to be precise), after living in Providence for 3 years. I am considering staying here actually, although I am actually thinking about New Haven or another southern CT city. Most likely either decision will be temporary, but I think there is a good chance that when I eventually settle down it will be in Hartford.

As much as people knock the Heart-beat, I think it gets a bad rap. My frame of reference is Providence of course, but also this whole, New England/greater Boston-NYC corridor. Hartford, I admit is not great- there is crime and a lot of long time residents of the area, such as my mother, absolutely fear going into the city after dark because the nicer downtown area tends to be deserted after 8 o'clock. That being said, there has been a tremendous amount of investment in the downtown of Hartford and a couple of other cities in CT such as Stamford and NH-- I think part of the post-9/11 world is an increased amount of greater NYC financial work that offers lower cost housing and office space.

I think Hartford's (or NH, for that matter) main advantage is that, compared to living in Providence or the Boston area, or even Westchester county, there are a fair number of insurance companies, accounting firms, law firms, etc. with offices here that pay near Boston/NYC wages. I was at a Lieberman presidential fundraiser a couple years ago with a friend who is a consultant in Boston. The fundraiser was held at a mansion like home of a local supporter. As we discussed local real estate prices my friend asked me what a house such as this one in the area went for- to whcih I replied around 650k. He had recently purchased a condo in Brookline for nearly the same amount.