• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New hairstyle ideas

guardians

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm changing my current hairstyle, so I'm welcoming any ideas people might have.
Only prerequisite: I don't like my hair being too short.
I've attached a picture of my current hairstyle.
I'm gravitating toward some version of the Johnny Depp/Ville Valo
hairstyles attached below.
I'm open to any suggestions though.

Cheers!

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depp's hair is pretty wavy. Might be hard to get that effect. I suggest the Nick Drake. Whatever you do, take pics in with you to the stylist. Don't rely on verbal description.
Nick-Drake-u02.jpg
7c5ca2ad7f.jpg
69437071_a23a6db75b.jpg

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

guardians

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Depp's hair is pretty wavy. Might be hard to get that effect.
Point taken.

Originally Posted by willpower
I suggest the Nick Drake. Whatever you do, take pics in with you to the stylist. Don't rely on verbal description.
Me likes the Nick Drake suggestion
smile.gif
Except for the layer length proportions. For some reason I think the transition from the part over the ears to the back part would look better if it were slightly more gradual.
Thanks!

GSquared

Reaction score
If you go shorter, I would make sure that you don't go too short and get into a problem. I'd look to something like Phil from The Hangover.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guardians
Point taken. Me likes the Nick Drake suggestion
smile.gif
Except for the layer length proportions. For some reason I think the transition from the part over the ears to the back part would look better if it were slightly more gradual. Thanks!

Well, you could mention that to your stylist, pointing out what you like and don't like about the pics. You can see below how the cut grew out for him. On the other hand, it might be an interesting change for you to go with the pics above - sometimes a noticeable change in appearance can trigger a change in other areas of one's life. Get the turtleneck or scarf thing going as well - it worked well for him. Just remember it might take a week or two to acclimate to the person staring at you in the mirror. And if you don't like it you can always grow it back.
nick_drake150x150.jpg

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your current hair length looks great on you. Don't change a thing!
Enjoy the world of hats, especially fedoras.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads