- Nov 23, 2008
- Reaction score
Hi guys, I came here because I'm looking for some help. I'm a college student who is about to graduate and start going to lost of job interviews. I have a suit that I've had for some time, but I never felt like it really fit me the way it should. It always looked very "boxy" I guess would be the word. I was shopping the weekend for a sport coat (for an unrelated reason), and one of the salesmen in a department store measured me. He said that I was a 43L athletic cut. I believe he said that my chest measured 44, and I wear between a 34-36 size pant depending on the make. I tried on an athletic cut jacket in 43L, and it fit me perfectly. Since I'm in college, I don't really have a lot of money to spend on a suit right now, so I was thinking about going the eBay route or an altered off the rack suit if possible. I don't know what I should be looking for though.
- Can a regular off the rack jacket be altered to the athletic cut of the jacket that I tried on? The salesman told me that if you do this that the jacket would "look funny" and that you need to get one that was specially "athletic cut". However, I don't trust salespeople.
- What should I look for in a jacket if I'm going to get it altered this way?
- How would I know from looking at the measurements if a jacket is athletic cut?
- What are the most important measurements of a jacket that need to be correct or cannot be easily altered?
- Conversely, what are the most easily altered measurements?
- For the pants, what should I look for? For example, is it easier to size the pants down or up, and how far can you go? Same thing for length.