• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New guy - briefcase question

Tim_Whatley

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forums, I surfed around on the GQ forums and, upon becoming wildly disappointed, eventually found my way over here. I've got a couple questions about a couple things I just bought:

new bag - http://usa.roots.com/briefcasesRoots...ctedColor=2201

what do you guys think? It was 25% off so I grabbed it, but it was still a bit more money then I would have liked to spend. I'm a student so I would be using it for laptop, books, binders, etc. The inside of the bag is simple divided into two even compartments with no other zippers or pockets. I've always used a backpack and I'm wondering with this sort of bag if i'll be frustrated with the lack of organization that the bag provides. Any alternatives you guys know of with similar style but less cash?

Also, Club monaco henry wool melton coat - http://www.clubmonaco.com/112008/m1.asp , go left twice to find the model with the coat. What do you guys think? does anyone have this coat?

thanks for the help,
glad to be a part of the group.

achillesg

Reaction score
Both look pretty solid. I don't think the lack of compartments will be much of an issue on the briefcase. If it is, do like backpackers and have a separate nylon bag from REI or somewhere if you need to hold pens, notary stamps, that sort of thing. I find the zippered pockets more on my ballistic nylon bag more useful than the internal divisions. And you can easily replicate the pockets as described above.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call that a briefcase. If you are student and it is for casual use then it should be fine. Although if it is more than you wanted to spend, my guess is you could do better.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
I was in Club Monaco yesterday and tried on one of their coats. It was nicely cut, but clearly too thin for Canadian winter. I said this to the salesman, and he agreed. He said that the coats were not selling well, because they're just not warm enough.

huh?

Tim_Whatley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
I was in Club Monaco yesterday and tried on one of their coats. It was nicely cut, but clearly too thin for Canadian winter. I said this to the salesman, and he agreed. He said that the coats were not selling well, because they're just not warm enough.

yeah, i asked if it was a winter coat and the reply was, "well, it's winter friendly"....I almost laughed, WTF does that mean?
but it was 30% off so i grabbed it anyways. Also, i'm a skier so I also have a good ski jacket that I can pull out on the really windy days (i'm in halifax). Also, gloves, scarf, and hat make a world of difference with respect to warmth for any coat.

what did you end up getting instead?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%