• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New golfer, what clubs are needed and which model/brand?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to start golfing come spring, I have gone 2 or 3 times in the past and have been to the driving range about 20 times.... I know I prob. dont need a full set of clubs atm so I was wonderin what I do need? (as far as irons, hybrids, drivers, etc.) Also I havnt looked into buying clubs for about 5 years and at that time I was looking into the Calloway big Berthas because from the research I did at the time they were excellent for both beginners and intermediates....

Thanks in advacne for any info!!

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
I am going to start golfing come spring, I have gone 2 or 3 times in the past and have been to the driving range about 20 times.... I know I prob. dont need a full set of clubs atm so I was wonderin what I do need? (as far as irons, hybrids, drivers, etc.) Also I havnt looked into buying clubs for about 5 years and at that time I was looking into the Calloway big Berthas because from the research I did at the time they were excellent for both beginners and intermediates....

Thanks in advacne for any info!!

My only advice as an avid golfer is go on Ebay and get a set that is a few generations old. You'll save a ton of $, and brands like Taylor Made release a few new generations EVERY year, without any real technology improvement most of the time.

The newest stuff isn't necessarily better than the stuff that's a few years old. The only way they claim you'll hit the new stuff longer is by lengthening the shaft, lowering the loft, and making the swingweight lighter. The Callaway Big Bertha 2002's were considered to be super forgiving back in the day. Try and figure out what your mis-hits are before choosing a certain set of irons (blades, cavity backs, shovels, etc.). Woods these days are all 460cc. Just go to a driving range that allows you to demo stuff and hit everything, find what looks and feels best to you. No need to have a full bag of matching brands.

Rant over
laugh.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I started playing in earnest, I sucked big time.

But I had the coolest clubs/drivers: Graphite shafted Calloway Hawkeyes.

I still suck, I don't play anymore, but when I did not only did I dress nice but I had cool looking clubs.
smile.gif

DDSJohnny

Reaction score
+1 on getting old clubs.

if i were helping someone start out, i'd recommend he/she get a set of irons, a hybrid, a sand wedge, and putter. spend the bulk of your money on lessons and get a consistent swing before buying any longer clubs (driver, 3 wood, etc). while it may be fun to hit driver, it usually hurts beginners' scores more than it helps.

once your swing is more consistent, go get fitted for a driver.

IrishDan

Reaction score
Just buy a set of Dunlops or Wilsons from Walmart or wherever. Get lessons, and fix your swing. Over time, replace the driver, the wedges, etc, until its time to buy a good set of irons, and you have a proper set.

There is no point spending big bucks on clubs if you are only starting out. I have seen too many people go overboard buying all the best stuff, spending $1500+, only to play once or twice a year.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IrishDan
Just buy a set of Dunlops or Wilsons from Walmart or wherever. Get lessons, and fix your swing. Over time, replace the driver, the wedges, etc, until its time to buy a good set of irons, and you have a proper set.

There is no point spending big bucks on clubs if you are only starting out. I have seen too many people go overboard buying all the best stuff, spending $1500+, only to play once or twice a year.

I agree with this line of thought but I can go get some Berthas from 06 for like $350. I want forgiving, well made clubs, so I think Ill be better off with some Calloways.... or somethin along those lines. I had a good idea and I think I am gonna just grab an issue of the golfers digest hotlist from 06' and pick up whatever clubs they rate as the best beg/int.

I would def. never spend over $600 on clubs at this point of my game.

DBoon

Reaction score
The only way to improve your game is to buy a new set of clubs every year and a new driver with a bigger head / new putter every 6 months.

Duh.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is pretty good advice and pretty much how I went about it. Along the way some people let me take a swing with their club. If I liked it, I bought it--when I improved.

Originally Posted by longskate88
My only advice as an avid golfer is go on Ebay and get a set that is a few generations old. You'll save a ton of $, and brands like Taylor Made release a few new generations EVERY year, without any real technology improvement most of the time.

The newest stuff isn't necessarily better than the stuff that's a few years old. The only way they claim you'll hit the new stuff longer is by lengthening the shaft, lowering the loft, and making the swingweight lighter. The Callaway Big Bertha 2002's were considered to be super forgiving back in the day. Try and figure out what your mis-hits are before choosing a certain set of irons (blades, cavity backs, shovels, etc.). Woods these days are all 460cc. Just go to a driving range that allows you to demo stuff and hit everything, find what looks and feels best to you. No need to have a full bag of matching brands.

Rant over
laugh.gif

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget the driver. I went to the range today and still can't hit that damn thing for ****. I'm more of a beginner myself and have focused on the irons. Play alot of executive courses and work on your irons, chipping, and putting. I've been playing steadily for a year or so now and have gotten pretty good at chipping and putting, but struggle with the long game. I have grown fond of my 3 iron hybrid and use that off the box on par 4 and 5's. A friend of mine gave me some sage advice which was, "Work on one particular thing constantly and master that, then move onto something else. Do not try to do too much at once". I'm working on not breaking my wrists when swinging my irons as putting and chipping just comes natural. The game looks so easy, but damn it is hard.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea, I am not lookin to become an expert or play for sport. More of just looking to be good enough to play casual with business partners and clients.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just buy a good set of used irons, sand wedge and new putter, and go from there. You'll be fine for the most part.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't played for a few years, but was in a golf store with my dad the other day. I gotta say, the majority of the clubs that they're putting out today are ugly as **** (especially the beginner options), so there's another benefit to buying stuff that's a few years old.

Golf clubs are up there with computers in terms of depreciation.

Quatsch

Reaction score
I've been a scratch, near scratch, and better than scratch golf player at various times in my life. My advice is that until you can break 90, you shouldn't bother playing with anything nice, and for Heaven's sake, don't buy the clubs that are designed to correct crappy mechanics(unbelievably huge callaway irons and whatnot), at least not if you want to be good. When you can break 82 or so and are getting into the high 70s consistently, then you can get yourself some good clubs.

I'd recommend an old set of ping irons to begin with, since they're commonly found very cheaply. A set of Eye-2's in good to decent condition would be grand. Get yourself a normal putter, not some monstrosity, learn to use it, and if your ego can handle it, keeping the driver out of the bag would probably be a solid decision, however I'd recommend carrying a 3 wood.

Edit: I'm not exactly sure if thats true on Ping Eye-2's after making a very cursory search on Ebay, but I could've sworn they used to go for ~150 just 4-5 years ago. I may be wrong. Still they're relatively cheap.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quatsch
I've been a scratch, near scratch, and better than scratch golf player at various times in my life. My advice is that until you can break 90, you shouldn't bother playing with anything nice, and for Heaven's sake, don't buy the clubs that are designed to correct crappy mechanics(unbelievably huge callaway irons and whatnot), at least not if you want to be good. When you can break 82 or so and are getting into the high 70s consistently, then you can get yourself some good clubs.

I'd recommend an old set of ping irons to begin with, since they're commonly found very cheaply. A set of Eye-2's in good to decent condition would be grand. Get yourself a normal putter, not some monstrosity, learn to use it, and if your ego can handle it, keeping the driver out of the bag would probably be a solid decision, however I'd recommend carrying a 3 wood.

Edit: I'm not exactly sure if thats true on Ping Eye-2's after making a very cursory search on Ebay, but I could've sworn they used to go for ~150 just 4-5 years ago. I may be wrong. Still they're relatively cheap.

This is good advice, though I would definitely learn the driver. I dont see any reason to delay learning it, even though most golfers would probably score better if they left it home.

Clubs just aren't that important... Spend you money on some good lessons.

Quatsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Clubs just aren't that important... Spend you money on some good lessons.
probably the most valuable advice in this thread. There are very many aspects of the golf game. A good pro can help you with many things, and if he's really good, he'll teach you about the head game too, which is one of the most important parts. I probably had most of the other parts of what was neccessary to play colliegate or even pro golf, but I lacked the headgame, and as a result didn't do very well in competition. Of course, thats getting *way* ahead of a thread asking about clubs for a new golfer...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics