• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Girlfriend wants to tell me how to dress...

Kilo11

Reaction score
I need some help. Been dating a new girl. We have had two great months. I’m a fantastic dresser (by societies standards, probably par for the course here). But she insists on telling me what colors and shoes to wear. Every girl I’ve ever dated before has simply appreciated that I have style and dress well. We had our first fight. It was over the fact she believes a pair of nikes to be more formal than a pair of C&J suede slippers, followed by nikes are more formal than a pair of grey suede moccasins. She insisted I wear the nikes. The nikes are dope and clean. But I feel like a moron with a blazer and pocket square and some ******* nikes. I like her. She is great. But nobody has ever bossed my clothing choices before and it’s really annoying. Any advice?

Get a new girlfriend.

Zub

Reaction score
Ignore the resistance I would have said the same thing about Nike a year ago, or three

You can enjoy them if you want to me they are overpriced junk made in overseas sweatshops

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike_sweatshops

But aside that they were never formal

Overpriced if you pay full boat. But I generally find deals and my shoes run $50-$70. I’ll never drop $200 on nikes.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
walk your way, think about it.

the fish can not change the fisherman.

Last edited:

Alpha11

Reaction score
I own Nikes however, I use them for the gym and basketball court or if I am working on my car.

I would never wear them outside of their intended purpose and definitely not with a blazer. As most of my Nikes are mid tops and are of the newer models. I know some young men like to wear the Air Force 1 however, I recall having to play in them for basketball camp and they hurt like hell.

Nikes have come a long way in the basketball shoes game and the design of their shoes are now more geared toward performance and not aesthetics.

Anyway, you have a style that you like and that is all that matters. My girl tried the same thing when we first started dating. It was a short lived journey for her as all her friends and family routinely make compliments on my sartorial aptitude.

Now the tables are turned as she comes to me for advice for what to wear...lol. To be fair I did work in high end fashion for awhile so I did have a little bit of a head start than her.

Last edited:

spokebe

Reaction score
I think it would be nicer to be with a woman who appreciates your style, and doesn't try to change it. She did start dating you and how you dress may have had a part in that. So why would she try to change that. Sounds a bit controlling. Hope you find happiness!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think this video sums everything up

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Today i wore White /blue/red Nike Vandals.
with a dark red/white collar/striped banker's shirt by Caruso, Blue pin dot tie ,Grey waist coat (plus Jacket),and jeans.
To a job interview.

-Was offered the job. at 30% more pay than expected. with a free apartment near the office.

Trust your own style. other people's "Rules" may not work for you. in fact, they probably don't work for them either. . .

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dump her. Is she going to tell you how to eat, how to speak, who you can be friends with?

Naw man, you don't need that constriction in your life.

Alpha11

Reaction score
with a dark red/white collar/striped banker's shirt by Caruso, Blue pin dot tie ,Grey waist coat (plus Jacket),and jeans.
To a job interview.

-Was offered the job. at 30% more pay than expected. with a free apartment near the office.

Trust your own style. other people's "Rules" may not work for you. in fact, they probably don't work for them either. . .

other people's "Rules" may not work for you. in fact, they probably don't work for them either

It not about other people's " rules" on this form but rather about getting the basic before you start spending needless money. Better yet, it is more about presenting the best option of yourself to the world while still retaining your individuality.

"In fact, they probably don't work for them either."

It works just find for me both personally and financially. I maded a very good living from helping other men and even at times woman. The "rules" I gave them has benefited them as well. Rather it be lawyers, doctors, bankers, athletes, or musicians.

I have been out of the fashion industry for a little while now but constantly see my advice being utilized and my work on display.

Zub

Reaction score
OP isn't alpha as phuck if he lets his gf dress him.

Alpha enough that I have hot ass girlfriend that I’m now teaching what real style is. We just had to have one fight about it.

Zub

Reaction score
To a job interview.

No top hat?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads