• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Girlfriend wants to tell me how to dress...

Zub

Reaction score
I need some help. Been dating a new girl. We have had two great months. I’m a fantastic dresser (by societies standards, probably par for the course here). But she insists on telling me what colors and shoes to wear. Every girl I’ve ever dated before has simply appreciated that I have style and dress well. We had our first fight. It was over the fact she believes a pair of nikes to be more formal than a pair of C&J suede slippers, followed by nikes are more formal than a pair of grey suede moccasins. She insisted I wear the nikes. The nikes are dope and clean. But I feel like a moron with a blazer and pocket square and some ******* nikes. I like her. She is great. But nobody has ever bossed my clothing choices before and it’s really annoying. Any advice?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
be warned, this is just the tip of the iceberg. I would make it clear that you don't tell her how she should dress (I assume you don't) and that she should do you the same courtesy. If she's not okay with it, move on. First clothes, then how you spend your money, how/what you eat, etc.

unsuitable

Reaction score
She may be more happy if she goes back to whatever man she is trying to turn you into.

Stand up for yourself and see what happens. The sooner a serious relationship "gets real" the better.

toplel

Reaction score
Everything has changed - nikes are suddenly an awesome idea in the near term ;)

dapperguy80

Reaction score
Burn the Nikes, end of fight. JK.

Settle for a tan wingtip or derby.

Zub

Reaction score
Reading every reply. I just told her to back off the other night. Threw on some blue suede barker blacks and went about out and enjoyed our evening. She says she knows better than I do what looks good on me. I said clearly not. Not sure all the hate for Nike though. I have about 30 pair. All of a vintage styling and very clean. Not like new style work out shoes (except the pair I actually work out in). I think a some nikes and street wear is fine some days to compliment the classic style I wear most days. But I appreciate all the replies. I think I’ve got her under control. It was bumpy. But it’s better.

Basically she is used to dating people that dress like they’re middle schoolers circa 1997.

Last edited:

Zub

Reaction score
I’m just a guy that wears a suit five days a week who enjoys relaxing in a pair of jeans a cardigan and some air max ones, vans or a pair of Keds.

paxonus

Reaction score
Have you told her what she ought to be wearing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads