• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New gap denim

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jump Around
What causes the crotch "blow out"? There was another pair posted a few pages back with the same problem.

What is it with the gap jeans that allow it to fade as opposed to regular 514s(tumbled rigid) that are not known to fade?

I wonder that too. Also, what's the best way to fix this without a patch and or ugly seem noticeable?

seany

Reaction score
You can get the crotch fixed fairly easy by patching it up with another piece of denim. And the reason the Gaps fade compared to Levi's 514 (TR) is because the tumbled rigid are not raw denim.

I'm sure they can still fade, but it wont be easy.

seany

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thrifter
seany mine look almost exactly the same.

How long you have yours for ? Would love to see pics !
smile.gif

mr. burns

Reaction score
my tumbled rigid and gaps are pretty much the same when it comes to fading. sure you can wear the indigo off with friction from sitting on cement or from the constant stretching that happens in the crotch but it doesn't bleed.

Seanallen

Reaction score
I slipped on some ice yesterday and ripped the entire seat of my jeans. Still had to ride the bus home too
ffffuuuu.gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seanallen
I slipped on some ice yesterday and ripped the entire seat of my jeans. Still had to ride the bus home too
ffffuuuu.gif

Awesome. Pix?

Jump Around

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seany
You can get the crotch fixed fairly easy by patching it up with another piece of denim. And the reason the Gaps fade compared to Levi's 514 (TR) is because the tumbled rigid are not raw denim.

I'm sure they can still fade, but it wont be easy.

From what I've read the GAP jeans are a "one wash"? Can you explain to me the difference between raw and one wash?

Just ordered a pair of these bad boys. Looking forward to them.

mr. burns

Reaction score
some are raw, some have been soaked once. not washed. the skinny and buckleback authentic are raw, the plain authentic is rinsed. don't know about the others. that's basically the difference. the raw ones have a slight bit more gray cast to them. i got the buckleback originally but they stretched and i lost 5 pounds so they're huge now. both are pretty fade resistant and don't bleed indigo.

Jump Around

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. burns
some are raw, some have been soaked once. not washed. the skinny and buckleback authentic are raw, the plain authentic is rinsed. don't know about the others. that's basically the difference. the raw ones have a slight bit more gray cast to them. i got the buckleback originally but they stretched and i lost 5 pounds so they're huge now. both are pretty fade resistant and don't bleed indigo.

Uh-Oh, noob blocker is keeping me from understanding a lot of that.

one wash vs one soaked vs raw
buckleback

I'll go look that up, appreciate the help Mr. Burns.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand why they make some models in raw then only sell them in select stores. It would make better business sense if they sold them everywhere and online with slight premium to them. Is it that much harder to make jeans in a raw that they can't mass produce them or something?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads