New gap denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by blackdarkeye, Jan 22, 2009.

1. wrenhunter

wrenhunter Senior member

I went into my local Gap to pick up a pair of raw denim to be used as beat-the-shit-of-them-without-a-care work jeans, but raw denim was not to be found. The clerks at the joint all got blank looks on their faces when I tried to explain raw denim versus washed denim. After 15 minutes, I left for fear that if I smacked myself on the forehead anymore, I'd leave a flat spot. :p
    The clerk at my Gap said "Salvage? Like, destroyed jeans?" I smiled, went home, and ordered online.

2. kontai69

kontai69 Senior member

If you read what I said at all, I said that all waist sizes under 30 come only in a 30 length.

Actually, you can buy 28" inseams, at least online. I bought an Authentic Fit selvage jean with a 28" waist/28" inseam. It was great since I did not have to get them hemmed as I normally would have to with other jeans/pants.

3. bcx

bcx Senior member

The clerk at my Gap said "Salvage? Like, destroyed jeans?" I smiled, went home, and ordered online.

Wow, that clerk is such a moron!

You really can't expect your average Gap customer to care whether their denim is selvage or raw or whatever so why should the staff care to know?

4. tc6

tc6 Senior member

At the Gap they don't really educate their employees on the clothing. After accepting a job, they just pretty much teach you how to fold and how to hang clothes.
    Most other people I know who work in retail go through 24 hours of training on products and customer service before working,

5. cancel.sing

cancel.sing Senior member

Actually, you can buy 28" inseams, at least online. I bought an Authentic Fit selvage jean with a 28" waist/28" inseam. It was great since I did not have to get them hemmed as I normally would have to with other jeans/pants.
    You're correct. I never think of that since I work at the Gap in Canada and we don't have online ordering here. I should have said "in-store".

6. steezin

steezin Senior member

Does anyone know if Gap selvedge denim is available in the UK?

7. Fat-Elvis

Fat-Elvis Senior member

Would it be bad to hot-wash/soak my raw gap jeans after a couple months of wear, as far as fading in the long run? I just don't like how they fit after being stretched out (even though I have a pair of non-raw in the exact same fit/size that fit amazingly), and it'd be nice the shrink the length a bit.

8. theom-

theom- Senior member

9. Frank0

Frank0 Member

the gap denim stretches out unfortunately too much, in the case of washing them to shrink they stretch back out so quickly.

10. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior member

so i just bought a pair of skinnys in 31x32 even though i'm usually a 30 waist and i've just outgrown 30 length. The waist fits fine now, and i'll hot soak it if it gets to loose, i'm not worried about that.

I'm worried that the length is a little too long. I want to make it shorter but i don't want to fade them in the wash or interrupt the fading process or anything.

Will a hot soak do the trick? I know these are n00b questions, but how long and what temperature? I'm planning to lay them in my bath and fill it with hot water, then hang them out to dry.

11. theom-

theom- Senior member

Yeah thats all you have to do. Personally I fill the tub first then put the jeans in, but it doesn't matter that much

12. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior member

30 minutes in warm water sound good?

13. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Just got my Authentic fit Selvedge in Dark Wash from the internet (Friends and Family'd it) Here's how they fit: [​IMG]

14. seany

seany Senior member

I dont believe those will fade, there is no "raw" Gap jeans online.

They call their raws "rigid", dark wash is a one wash.

Unless of course you not looking for fades, then those fit pretty good.

15. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member