1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New gap denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by blackdarkeye, Jan 22, 2009.

1. constantine.

constantine. Senior member

my new Gap Skinnies have a leather patch on the back. I thought all of the new jeans were patch-less. Anyone?

2. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

my new Gap Skinnies have a leather patch on the back. I thought all of the new jeans were patch-less. Anyone?

sounds like you have the elevated skinnies. do you have a blue button on the selvage coin pocket? is there a 1969 emblazoned in white letters above the right back pocket?

3. Ohhai

Ohhai Senior member

Check the tag that is likely in one of the legs at the hip. It will say what season they are from and the name of the fit and wash usually. I haven't seen the selvage skinny from this season to see if it has a patch or not. The old ones do.

4. Ohhai

Ohhai Senior member

sounds like you have the elevated skinnies. do you have a blue button on the selvage coin pocket? is there a 1969 emblazoned in white letters above the right back pocket?

By definition, anything from the $88 price point is the 'elevated' denim. New old or otherwise. But I get what you are trying to say...that he could have last season's skinny.

There was a skinny rigid last season.

5. ctrlaltelite

By definition, anything from the $88 price point is the 'elevated' denim. New old or otherwise. But I get what you are trying to say...that he could have last season's skinny. There was a skinny rigid last season.
    the rise on this season's skinny seems considerably lower than last season's, and you said yourself the denim is of a better quality, and i agree. and yes, this season's skinny has a tag on the inside noting it as "fall 2009."

6. Ohhai

Ohhai Senior member

the rise on this season's skinny seems considerably lower than last season's, and you said yourself the denim is of a better quality, and i agree. and yes, this season's skinny has a tag on the inside noting it as "fall 2009."
    I have yet to put hands on the skinny and it was not promoted till very late so I can't confirm fit being different. The selvage didn't take as large a leap as the non did as far as fabric goes. simply not as much ceiling and room for growth at that level and price point. The non-selvage going to ring/ring and all... Design and Construction did however take big steps up so there will be differences absolutely.

7. sazon

sazon Senior member

Check the tag that is likely in one of the legs at the hip. It will say what season they are from and the name of the fit and wash usually. I haven't seen the selvage skinny from this season to see if it has a patch or not. The old ones do.

Correct, this is last season's model. None of the new 1969-ers have the leather patch.

8. cancel.sing

cancel.sing Senior member

my measurements aren't skinny at all.
    Not skinny with a 9" thigh?!

9. constantine.

constantine. Senior member

Yeah. I must have last seasons. No white letters, no blue button, tag on the inside says "1969 09" instead of "Fall 09".

10. ctrlaltelite

Not skinny with a 9" thigh?!

yes it's tight at the thigh but the taper isn't dramatic through the knee and there's plenty of room at the calf. that's pretty much how a slim, straight jean should fit to me (ie KMW 1980).

skinny jeans have a hem of <= 7"

11. mr. burns

mr. burns Senior member

think i'm gonna look into getting my authentics tapered by a half inch or so. opening is too wide and drops below the heal sometimes. think it's currently 8&quot;.

12. cancel.sing

cancel.sing Senior member

yes it's tight at the thigh but the taper isn't dramatic through the knee and there's plenty of room at the calf. that's pretty much how a slim, straight jean should fit to me (ie KMW 1980). skinny jeans have a hem of <= 7"
    I agree with you, my point was that they aren't skinny. That thigh measurement has to be off; I couldn't fit in a 9" thigh and I bought two sizes smaller than you did. I don't know, I'll measure mine when I finish moving and see.

13. TxdoHawk

TxdoHawk Senior member

Is the stretching worse than APCs?
    I don't own a pair of APC's, but based on the stories I've heard, no. I think if I could have done it all over again, I might have tried squeezing into a 32, but I just don't know if that would have worked out well. I'm going to put a little more wear into these and see what happens. Like I mentioned, I'm hoping the trip through the dryer has done the trick and they won't stretch too badly in the waist again. I'll follow-up with another post when I find out.

14. mr. burns

mr. burns Senior member

why not just wear a belt?

15. Ohhai

Ohhai Senior member

Yeah. I must have last seasons. No white letters, no blue button, tag on the inside says "1969 09" instead of "Fall 09".

Probably last seasons but theres ANOTHER tag lower in the leg that will tell you the actual season and style. It's not the 1969 09 tag.

I just checked my Spring 09 skinny and the tag is about 4 inches lower on the same side.

16. illumin8em

illumin8em Senior member

i put the two pair of new selvage authentics in the &quot;buy and sell&quot; if anyone is interested.

17. TxdoHawk

TxdoHawk Senior member

why not just wear a belt?

I don't mind belts in theory, but on lazy weekends I'm often in minimal effort mode, belts are one more part of an outfit I have to put on. (That's a terrible answer for this forum, I know, but it's the truth. [​IMG] )

It probably doesn't help that my one belt is a fairly hum-drum black leather $8 special from a flea market...I keep meaning to grab something nice from Tanner Goods.

18. mr. burns

mr. burns Senior member

I don't mind belts in theory, but on lazy weekends I'm often in minimal effort mode, belts are one more part of an outfit I have to put on. (That's a terrible answer for this forum, I know, but it's the truth. [​IMG] )

It probably doesn't help that my one belt is a fairly hum-drum black leather $8 special from a flea market...I keep meaning to grab something nice from Tanner Goods.

yea i'm pretty lazy and don't have an extensive shoes collection so i just keep the belt on the jeans even when they're hung up. usually wear black shoes so i just keep the same cheapo black belt on there until i wear my clarks.

19. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

LOVE these! Authentic fit. [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. ctrlaltelite

moo those look rad on you.